need help with TPW 1.5

i can compile and run my TP 7.0 programs fine under 1.5 but when I try to
put simple controls - it goes down hill fast. the manuals and samples are
about as useful as a fart in a diving helment. i have about 300 specific
questions - like how do you exit - i'm used to VB where exit.click =
mainwindow.closewindow - how do you put color in - how do you change that
stupid DOS icon on the top left. i can solve these myself if someone can
point me to some source codes for some reasonably simple programs -not
'hello world' - I just want something to study besides the manuals. anyone
wants the manuals - they can have them cheap. thanks all

Re:need help with TPW 1.5

arwar wrote:
> i can compile and run my TP 7.0 programs fine under 1.5 but when I try to
> put simple controls - it goes down hill fast. the manuals and samples are
> about as useful as a fart in a diving helment. i have about 300 specific
> questions - like how do you exit - i'm used to VB where exit.click =
> mainwindow.closewindow - how do you put color in - how do you change that
> stupid DOS icon on the top left. i can solve these myself if someone can
> point me to some source codes for some reasonably simple programs -not
> 'hello world' - I just want something to study besides the manuals. anyone
> wants the manuals - they can have them cheap. thanks all

what about donecrt to exit?
sorry, but I don't really program in BPW...

Markus

Re:need help with TPW 1.5

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:29:58 -0400, "arwar" <ar...@cablenet-va.com>
wrote:

>i can compile and run my TP 7.0 programs fine under 1.5 but when I try to
>put simple controls - it goes down hill fast. the manuals and samples are
>about as useful as a fart in a diving helment. i have about 300 specific
>questions - like how do you exit - i'm used to VB where exit.click =
>mainwindow.closewindow - how do you put color in - how do you change that
>stupid DOS icon on the top left. i can solve these myself if someone can
>point me to some source codes for some reasonably simple programs -not
>'hello world' - I just want something to study besides the manuals. anyone
>wants the manuals - they can have them cheap. thanks all

TPW comes with several good examples for using OWL (and a book to
guide you through them),  They should be in a folder under your TPW
installation with a name something like "/examples/docdemos/owl".

You can also look for a couple of older books on this:

Neil Rubenking's "Turbo Pascal for Windows Techniques and Utilities"
Paul Cilwa's "Borland Pascal 7 Insider"

Don't let that last title put you off, OWL (and the TP language)
changed very little between TPW 1.5 and BPW.

If you don't want to use OWL and WinCRT is too primitive for your
purposes then you've little choice but to do straight API programming,
and there's precious few examples of doing that in TPW.

Generally you have to translate from C; if you can track down an older
edition of Charles Petzold's "Programming Windows" for 16-bit that
would be a good starting place.

It's been a while since I looked at this stuff in any depth but if you
want to forward some of your "300 specific questions" to me I'll do
what I can.

BTW, If you're more comfortable with the VB approach to things, may I
suggest you try Delphi as an alternative to TP?

Stephen Posey
slpo...@concentric.net

Other Threads