OLE DB Provider for ODBC OR Microsoft Jet 4.0 Ole DB Provider

What's the best solution for working with ADO on Access 2000 Databases ?

What are the needs of each solution about components (MAD, JET, ODBC.....)
they have to be instelled on computers ?

Thank's

Al

Re:OLE DB Provider for ODBC OR Microsoft Jet 4.0 Ole DB Provider

MAD???  Use Jet it is faster, more robust than ODBC.  Jet was
specifically designed for MS products.

Hope this helps,
Bill N
www.2rs.ca

Avoiding Danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure...
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Helen Keller

Alain962 wrote:
> What's the best solution for working with ADO on Access 2000 Databases ?

> What are the needs of each solution about components (MAD, JET, ODBC.....)
> they have to be instelled on computers ?

> Thank's

> Al

Re:OLE DB Provider for ODBC OR Microsoft Jet 4.0 Ole DB Provider

MAD was MDAC

You think that JET is the best way with MS Products.
OK Thank's
Al

"Bill N" <ahappyfam...@sympatico.ca> a crit dans le message de news:
3E7125E2.4010...@sympatico.ca...

"Alain962" <a...@leaweb.org> wrote in message

> What's the best solution for working with ADO on Access 2000 Databases ?

> What are the needs of each solution about components (MAD, JET, ODBC.....)
> they have to be instelled on computers ?

With ADO, switching from ODBC to Jet 4.0 OLE DB  data provider gave us a 6
times speed increase with our app!!! Don't know MAD (????). From reading
other postings the fastest solution of all is to aviod ADO and use
Viatcheslav V. Vassiliev's Oledbdirect http://www.oledbdirect.com, but I
can't speak from experience.

If you browse this newsgroup for ADO deployment you will see that generally
systems have the necessary MDAC and Jet DLLs, so all you have to install is
your app.

Dave

Re:OLE DB Provider for ODBC OR Microsoft Jet 4.0 Ole DB Provider

Thank's for your help.
Generally the systems have them but my app has to run on old systems as Win
95.
I would in the install program check the presence of tehse components.
I found a function to check the MDAC version and I will try to check the
registry to determine the version of the Jet engine

MAD was MDAC, sorry...

Thank's
Al

"Dave Blake" <barnsw...@hotmail.com> a crit dans le message de news:
3e71cb5...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> "Alain962" <a...@leaweb.org> wrote in message
> > What's the best solution for working with ADO on Access 2000 Databases ?

> > What are the needs of each solution about components (MAD, JET,
ODBC.....)
> > they have to be instelled on computers ?

> With ADO, switching from ODBC to Jet 4.0 OLE DB  data provider gave us a 6
> times speed increase with our app!!! Don't know MAD (????). From reading
> other postings the fastest solution of all is to aviod ADO and use
> Viatcheslav V. Vassiliev's Oledbdirect http://www.oledbdirect.com, but I
> can't speak from experience.

> If you browse this newsgroup for ADO deployment you will see that
generally
> systems have the necessary MDAC and Jet DLLs, so all you have to install
is
> your app.

> Dave

Re:OLE DB Provider for ODBC OR Microsoft Jet 4.0 Ole DB Provider

> ...Generally the systems have them but my app has to run on old systems as
Win
> 95...

Remember with Win95 you must also have DCOM95 installed too. And sorry, I
don't know how to check that programatically (maybe the successful creation
of a connection will do?)

Re:OLE DB Provider for ODBC OR Microsoft Jet 4.0 Ole DB Provider

Yes I know about DCOM95
I have'nt a computer under 95 here...

3e71e66...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> > ...Generally the systems have them but my app has to run on old systems
as
> Win
> > 95...

> Remember with Win95 you must also have DCOM95 installed too. And sorry, I
> don't know how to check that programatically (maybe the successful
creation
> of a connection will do?)

Re:OLE DB Provider for ODBC OR Microsoft Jet 4.0 Ole DB Provider

You can check if provider is registered as follow:

ProgIDToClassID('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0');

If this will not thow an exception, Jet 4 is registered. To be sure it is
functional, you can call CreateComObject with GUID obtained from call to
ProgIDToClassID. If returned IUnknown is not be nil - provider is installed
and can be created.

function CheckJet40(): Boolean;
var
    g: TGUID;
    pUnk: IUnknown;
begin
    Result := False;
    try
        pUnk := CreateComObject(ProgIDToClassID('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0'));
        Result := Assigned(pUnk);
        pUnk := nil;
    except

Regards,
Viatcheslav V. Vassiliev
http://www.oledbdirect.com
The fastest way to access MS SQL Server, MS Jet (MS Access)
and Interbase (through OLEDB) databases.

?

> > > What are the needs of each solution about components (MAD, JET,
> ODBC.....)
> > > they have to be instelled on computers ?

> > With ADO, switching from ODBC to Jet 4.0 OLE DB  data provider gave us a
6
> > times speed increase with our app!!! Don't know MAD (????). From reading
> > other postings the fastest solution of all is to aviod ADO and use
> > Viatcheslav V. Vassiliev's Oledbdirect http://www.oledbdirect.com, but I
> > can't speak from experience.

> > If you browse this newsgroup for ADO deployment you will see that
> generally
> > systems have the necessary MDAC and Jet DLLs, so all you have to install
> is
> > your app.

> > Dave

Re:OLE DB Provider for ODBC OR Microsoft Jet 4.0 Ole DB Provider

Do you know how check the presence of DCOM 95 on PC running under W95 ?

"Viatcheslav V. Vassiliev" <supp...@oledbdirect.com> a crit dans le message
de news: 3e721__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_MASK_i?a63jfAD$z__@newsgroups.borland.com...

> You can check if provider is registered as follow:

> ProgIDToClassID('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0');

> If this will not thow an exception, Jet 4 is registered. To be sure it is
> functional, you can call CreateComObject with GUID obtained from call to
> ProgIDToClassID. If returned IUnknown is not be nil - provider is
installed
> and can be created.

> function CheckJet40(): Boolean;
> var
>     g: TGUID;
>     pUnk: IUnknown;
> begin
>     Result := False;
>     try
>         pUnk :=

CreateComObject(ProgIDToClassID('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0'));

>         Result := Assigned(pUnk);
>         pUnk := nil;
>     except
>     end;
> end;

> Regards,
> Viatcheslav V. Vassiliev
> http://www.oledbdirect.com
> The fastest way to access MS SQL Server, MS Jet (MS Access)
> and Interbase (through OLEDB) databases.

> "Alain962" <a...@leaweb.org> ???Y/???Y ????? ???Y??:
> > Thank's for your help.
> > Generally the systems have them but my app has to run on old systems as
> Win
> > 95.
> > I would in the install program check the presence of tehse components.
> > I found a function to check the MDAC version and I will try to check the
> > registry to determine the version of the Jet engine

> > MAD was MDAC, sorry...

> > Thank's
> > Al

> > "Dave Blake" <barnsw...@hotmail.com> a crit dans le message de news:
> > 3e71cb5...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> > > "Alain962" <a...@leaweb.org> wrote in message
Databases
> ?

> > ODBC.....)

> > > With ADO, switching from ODBC to Jet 4.0 OLE DB  data provider gave us
> 6
> > > times speed increase with our app!!! Don't know MAD (????). From
reading
> > > other postings the fastest solution of all is to aviod ADO and use
> > > Viatcheslav V. Vassiliev's Oledbdirect http://www.oledbdirect.com, but
> > > can't speak from experience.

> > > If you browse this newsgroup for ADO deployment you will see that
> > generally
> > > systems have the necessary MDAC and Jet DLLs, so all you have to
install
> > is
> > > your app.

> > > Dave

Re:OLE DB Provider for ODBC OR Microsoft Jet 4.0 Ole DB Provider

Thank's I used ProgIDToClassID but not
CreateComObject(ProgIDToClassID('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0'));

"Viatcheslav V. Vassiliev" <supp...@oledbdirect.com> a crit dans le message
de news: 3e721__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_MASK_i?a63jfAD$z__@newsgroups.borland.com...

> You can check if provider is registered as follow:

> ProgIDToClassID('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0');

> If this will not thow an exception, Jet 4 is registered. To be sure it is
> functional, you can call CreateComObject with GUID obtained from call to
> ProgIDToClassID. If returned IUnknown is not be nil - provider is
installed
> and can be created.

> function CheckJet40(): Boolean;
> var
>     g: TGUID;
>     pUnk: IUnknown;
> begin
>     Result := False;
>     try
>         pUnk :=

CreateComObject(ProgIDToClassID('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0'));

>         Result := Assigned(pUnk);
>         pUnk := nil;
>     except
>     end;
> end;

> Regards,
> Viatcheslav V. Vassiliev
> http://www.oledbdirect.com
> The fastest way to access MS SQL Server, MS Jet (MS Access)
> and Interbase (through OLEDB) databases.

> "Alain962" <a...@leaweb.org> ???Y/???Y ????? ???Y??:
> > Thank's for your help.
> > Generally the systems have them but my app has to run on old systems as
> Win
> > 95.
> > I would in the install program check the presence of tehse components.
> > I found a function to check the MDAC version and I will try to check the
> > registry to determine the version of the Jet engine

> > MAD was MDAC, sorry...

> > Thank's
> > Al

> > "Dave Blake" <barnsw...@hotmail.com> a crit dans le message de news:
> > 3e71cb5...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> > > "Alain962" <a...@leaweb.org> wrote in message
Databases
> ?

> > ODBC.....)

> > > With ADO, switching from ODBC to Jet 4.0 OLE DB  data provider gave us
> 6
> > > times speed increase with our app!!! Don't know MAD (????). From
reading
> > > other postings the fastest solution of all is to aviod ADO and use
> > > Viatcheslav V. Vassiliev's Oledbdirect http://www.oledbdirect.com, but
> > > can't speak from experience.

> > > If you browse this newsgroup for ADO deployment you will see that
> > generally
> > > systems have the necessary MDAC and Jet DLLs, so all you have to
install
> > is
> > > your app.

> > > Dave