IdTCPClient.UseNagle in Indy 8.1 btw

The property UseNagle ( in IdTCPClient ) is no longer available in the btw
version, does it mean that it's no longer used ?
If it's still in use, is there a way to disengage it ?

Thank,
Bertrand.

Re:IdTCPClient.UseNagle in Indy 8.1 btw

[This followup was posted to borland.public.delphi.internet.winsock and
a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <3b531670$1_1@dnews>, bertrand.louarg...@yale.edu says...

> The property UseNagle ( in IdTCPClient ) is no longer available in the btw
> version, does it mean that it's no longer used ?

No.  There was some restructuring in Indy 8.1.  The TIdTCPClient does
not have that property anymore.  It was moved to TIdIOHandlerSocket and
by default, that does use Nangle.  If IOHandler is not set in
TIdTCPClient, itt will create its own TIdIOHandlerSocket object for the
duration of a connection.

> If it's still in use, is there a way to disengage it ?

You can set the TIdTCPClient to use a TIdIOHandlerSocket by setting it's
IOHandler property to that component.  You than would set the
TIdIOHandlerSocket.UseNangle to false.  Let me warn you that as a
general rule, you never want to disable the Nagle feature unless you
have a very compelling reason to do so.

--
Support the anti-Spam amendment - Join at http://www.cauce.org/
J. Peter Mugaas     E-Mail:  oma00...@mail.wvnet.edu

Re:IdTCPClient.UseNagle in Indy 8.1 btw

Thank you.

I do indeed have a good reason to disable the Nagle.
The app will be used in a physic Lab, to receive some information from a
supercollider, so it won't run under normal conditions.

Is there a reason for the TIdTCPClient.IOHandler to be TIdIOHandler rather
than TIdIOHandlerSocket ?

Bertrand.

"J. Peter Mugaas" <oma00...@mail.wvnet.edu> wrote in message

> [This followup was posted to borland.public.delphi.internet.winsock and
> a copy was sent to the cited author.]

> In article <3b531670$1_1@dnews>, bertrand.louarg...@yale.edu says...
> > The property UseNagle ( in IdTCPClient ) is no longer available in the
btw
> > version, does it mean that it's no longer used ?

> No.  There was some restructuring in Indy 8.1.  The TIdTCPClient does
> not have that property anymore.  It was moved to TIdIOHandlerSocket and
> by default, that does use Nangle.  If IOHandler is not set in
> TIdTCPClient, itt will create its own TIdIOHandlerSocket object for the
> duration of a connection.

> > If it's still in use, is there a way to disengage it ?

> You can set the TIdTCPClient to use a TIdIOHandlerSocket by setting it's
> IOHandler property to that component.  You than would set the
> TIdIOHandlerSocket.UseNangle to false.  Let me warn you that as a
> general rule, you never want to disable the Nagle feature unless you
> have a very compelling reason to do so.

> --
> Support the anti-Spam amendment - Join at http://www.cauce.org/
> J. Peter Mugaas     E-Mail:  oma00...@mail.wvnet.edu
> http://wvnvm.wvnet.edu/~oma00215/  ICQ Number:  14297043
> Finger for PGP Key

Re:IdTCPClient.UseNagle in Indy 8.1 btw

> Is there a reason for the TIdTCPClient.IOHandler to be TIdIOHandler rather
> than TIdIOHandlerSocket ?

Yes, you can assign other IO Handlers to it ;)

Internally, if you don't assign any, it does create a TIdIOHandlerSocket. You
might just want to put one on your form and connect it.

johannes
--
Please reply in this newsgroup only
 - SIP solutions -