Sybase : "vendor initialisation failed"

Hello,

With Sybase Server Anywhere 7, I get "vendor initialisation failed" when
trying to connect to the Sybase demo database, in BDE administrator.

In Configuration/Drivers/Native/Sybase/DLL32 : SQLSYB32.DLL.  Is it
correct ?
BDE 5.01, Delphi 5, NT 4

Thanks for any help

Denis Dresse

Re:Sybase : "vendor initialisation failed"

The Sybase BDE driver was written for Sybase SQL Server 10.0 (now called
Sybase Server Enterprise or ASE.) This driver does not work with Sybase
Server Anywhere (ASA.)

Connecting to Sybase ASA using the ODBC driver has worked very well for me
in the past, so I suggest that you do the same. The Sybase ODBC driver is
very efficient, so speed should not suffer by using ODBC (through the BDE)
vs. the BDE Sybase driver. An alternate route would be to use ADO if Sybase
Server Anywhere 7 comes with an OLE DB driver for ADO. (Or ADO -> ODBC ->
ASA.)

"Denis Dresse" <denis.dre...@decis.be> wrote in message

> Hello,

> With Sybase Server Anywhere 7, I get "vendor initialisation failed" when
> trying to connect to the Sybase demo database, in BDE administrator.

> In Configuration/Drivers/Native/Sybase/DLL32 : SQLSYB32.DLL.  Is it
> correct ?
> BDE 5.01, Delphi 5, NT 4

> Thanks for any help

> Denis Dresse

Re:Sybase : "vendor initialisation failed"

I have recently updated from 5 to 7 and had some problems, but not this one.
In the ODBC administrator, does Test Configuration work. If not then the
problem
may be at the ODBC end.
ODBC is the native access method so the DLL is likely to be for ASE
Once working it seems very fast..

Tim

Denis Dresse <denis.dre...@decis.be> wrote in message

> Hello,

> With Sybase Server Anywhere 7, I get "vendor initialisation failed" when
> trying to connect to the Sybase demo database, in BDE administrator.

> In Configuration/Drivers/Native/Sybase/DLL32 : SQLSYB32.DLL.  Is it
> correct ?
> BDE 5.01, Delphi 5, NT 4

> Thanks for any help

> Denis Dresse

Re:Sybase : "vendor initialisation failed"

ODBC connection tested successfully. Thank you.

Is Sybase Server Entreprise worth acquiring for a 7 users DB, handling 300.000
rec. (ordering and stock management) or ASA is enough ?

Denis Dresse

Steven Colagiovanni wrote:
> The Sybase BDE driver was written for Sybase SQL Server 10.0 (now called
> Sybase Server Enterprise or ASE.) This driver does not work with Sybase
> Server Anywhere (ASA.)

> Connecting to Sybase ASA using the ODBC driver has worked very well for me
> in the past, so I suggest that you do the same. The Sybase ODBC driver is
> very efficient, so speed should not suffer by using ODBC (through the BDE)
> vs. the BDE Sybase driver. An alternate route would be to use ADO if Sybase
> Server Anywhere 7 comes with an OLE DB driver for ADO. (Or ADO -> ODBC ->
> ASA.)

> "Denis Dresse" <denis.dre...@decis.be> wrote in message
> > Hello,

> > With Sybase Server Anywhere 7, I get "vendor initialisation failed" when
> > trying to connect to the Sybase demo database, in BDE administrator.

> > In Configuration/Drivers/Native/Sybase/DLL32 : SQLSYB32.DLL.  Is it
> > correct ?
> > BDE 5.01, Delphi 5, NT 4

> > Thanks for any help

> > Denis Dresse

Re:Sybase : "vendor initialisation failed"

ASA should easily handle these volumes. Someone @ Sybase told me
that ASA had been benchtested to about 200 concurrent users.

Tim

> ODBC connection tested successfully. Thank you.

> Is Sybase Server Entreprise worth acquiring for a 7 users DB, handling
300.000
> rec. (ordering and stock management) or ASA is enough ?

> Denis Dresse

> Steven Colagiovanni wrote:

> > The Sybase BDE driver was written for Sybase SQL Server 10.0 (now called
> > Sybase Server Enterprise or ASE.) This driver does not work with Sybase
> > Server Anywhere (ASA.)

> > Connecting to Sybase ASA using the ODBC driver has worked very well for
me
> > in the past, so I suggest that you do the same. The Sybase ODBC driver
is
> > very efficient, so speed should not suffer by using ODBC (through the
BDE)
> > vs. the BDE Sybase driver. An alternate route would be to use ADO if
Sybase
> > Server Anywhere 7 comes with an OLE DB driver for ADO. (Or ADO ->
ODBC ->
> > ASA.)

> > "Denis Dresse" <denis.dre...@decis.be> wrote in message
> > > Hello,

> > > With Sybase Server Anywhere 7, I get "vendor initialisation failed"
when
> > > trying to connect to the Sybase demo database, in BDE administrator.

> > > In Configuration/Drivers/Native/Sybase/DLL32 : SQLSYB32.DLL.  Is it
> > > correct ?
> > > BDE 5.01, Delphi 5, NT 4

> > > Thanks for any help

> > > Denis Dresse

Re:Sybase : "vendor initialisation failed"

ASA will easily handle this. I have seen over 50 users on a primary database
of over 20MB with no performance problems. (The database size is only
limited by the OS [2.0GB with Win 95/98]) Plus, ASA will run on Win 95/98
and Sybase's claim of zero database administration is believable. I have
talked to People who have tried to tweak ASA and they have only been able to
improve performance 1-2%. Hardly worth the effort. ASE really requires a DBA
and should be run on Windows NT.

- Steve

"Denis Dresse" <denis.dre...@decis.be> wrote in message

> ODBC connection tested successfully. Thank you.

> Is Sybase Server Entreprise worth acquiring for a 7 users DB, handling
300.000
> rec. (ordering and stock management) or ASA is enough ?

> Denis Dresse

> Steven Colagiovanni wrote:

> > The Sybase BDE driver was written for Sybase SQL Server 10.0 (now called
> > Sybase Server Enterprise or ASE.) This driver does not work with Sybase
> > Server Anywhere (ASA.)

> > Connecting to Sybase ASA using the ODBC driver has worked very well for
me
> > in the past, so I suggest that you do the same. The Sybase ODBC driver
is
> > very efficient, so speed should not suffer by using ODBC (through the
BDE)
> > vs. the BDE Sybase driver. An alternate route would be to use ADO if
Sybase
> > Server Anywhere 7 comes with an OLE DB driver for ADO. (Or ADO ->
ODBC ->
> > ASA.)

> > "Denis Dresse" <denis.dre...@decis.be> wrote in message
> > > Hello,

> > > With Sybase Server Anywhere 7, I get "vendor initialisation failed"
when
> > > trying to connect to the Sybase demo database, in BDE administrator.

> > > In Configuration/Drivers/Native/Sybase/DLL32 : SQLSYB32.DLL.  Is it
> > > correct ?
> > > BDE 5.01, Delphi 5, NT 4

> > > Thanks for any help

> > > Denis Dresse

Re:Sybase : "vendor initialisation failed"

Hi,

Try ASDAC http://microolap.com/MODBConnectivity.html
It works without BDE and ODBC

Best regards,