BDE Install Problems...

  After uninstalling Borland Delphi Developer 2.0 from my computer (using
add/remove programs), then deleting the Borland directory folder (including
the BDE, Database Desktop, etc. subfolders which don't "uninstall" when
using the add/remove programs function), I'm continuing to have troubles
reinstalling the Delphi 2.0 program, getting the following error message
during the setup process:  "String variable is not large enough for string.
Check the string declarations.    Error 401"
Then, if I go ahead with the setup and installation, when I try to access
the BDE (program), I get the following error message:  "An error occurred
while attempting to initialize the Borland Database Engine (error $2109)"

  Does anyone have any advise as to what I screwed up in the original
uninstall / delete process, which won't allow me to reinstall the program
and access the BDE or Databse Desktop?

  Any advice is greatly appreciated.   KRR

Re:BDE Install Problems...

Error $2109 : Cannot load IDAPI32.DLL, is this included in your
installation?

--
Brad Prendergast
http://www.bpsoftware.com/Delphi.htm

"The Rays" <labt...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:39d53c11_2@dnews...
>   After uninstalling Borland Delphi Developer 2.0 from my computer (using
> add/remove programs), then deleting the Borland directory folder
(including
> the BDE, Database Desktop, etc. subfolders which don't "uninstall" when
> using the add/remove programs function), I'm continuing to have troubles
> reinstalling the Delphi 2.0 program, getting the following error message
> during the setup process:  "String variable is not large enough for
string.
> Check the string declarations.    Error 401"
> Then, if I go ahead with the setup and installation, when I try to access
> the BDE (program), I get the following error message:  "An error occurred
> while attempting to initialize the Borland Database Engine (error $2109)"

>   Does anyone have any advise as to what I screwed up in the original
> uninstall / delete process, which won't allow me to reinstall the program
> and access the BDE or Databse Desktop?

>   Any advice is greatly appreciated.   KRR

Re:BDE Install Problems...

Yes.  Idapi32.dll is one of the files in the BDE file groups which installs
from the Delphi 2.0 full install.  The programs, folders, and files all
install ok, but I don't have any access to the BDE or Database Desktop
programs, recieving these error messages instead.

Re:BDE Install Problems...

Seeing as how elements of the BDE remain on your hard disk after the
uninstall, it might be worth taking a look at the registry under LOCAL
MACHINE/software/borland/bde to remove any detritus there as well. If
you are uninstalling Delphi, make sure that there are no Delphi
remainders in the registry.
If you are not familiar with this section of the registry, be sure to
back it up before deleting anything.

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 18:15:13 -0700, "The Rays" <labt...@ix.netcom.com>

, in borland.public.delphi.database.desktop, wrote:
>  Does anyone have any advise as to what I screwed up in the original
>uninstall / delete process, which won't allow me to reinstall the program
>and access the BDE or Databse Desktop?

>  Any advice is greatly appreciated.   KRR

Re:BDE Install Problems...

Thanks.  Going to HKey_Local_Machine and purging the BDE materials out of
the "Software" section did it.  The program reinstalled normal, and I'm back
to trying to deploy an application using installshield express (trying to
deploy the BDE prompted me to uninstall the program, (causing me the
registry problem), so that I could see whether or not the deployed
application would install and run correctly on a computer without the BDE
previously installed, which it didn't).

Thanks again...KRR

Other Threads