Lock file grown too large?

Hi all,

I have a 2 machine peer to peer network customer, (Win '98) with an
application developed in D4 using Paradox tables.

They have recently received the message 'Lock file grown too large'... What
does this signify? and what should I do to rectify the situation please?

Regards

Glenn

Re:Lock file grown too large?

See TI256 at http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/ti/TI256B.html

w.

Glenn@apex <a...@gmcompute.com> wrote in message

> They have recently received the message 'Lock file grown too large'...
What
> does this signify? and what should I do to rectify the situation please?

Re:Lock file grown too large?

See TI2993 at www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/ti_list.

Bill

--

Bill Todd - TeamB

Re:Lock file grown too large?

Hello there,

Thanks for the info and I have read the suggested document and now have the
following questions:

i) I have my application in DRIVELETTER:\KEY and my tables in
  DRIVELETTER/KEY/DATA. presumably this is not the same as having the
executionable in the same directory as the tables?

ii) What do I do (where does it go) with the suggested code for setting the
PrivateDir and NetFileDir put it in my application startup code?

iii) I have already set the Net Dir to the data directory using the DBE
administrator in the Paradox configuration/definition. Is this the same
thing?

iv) When the 'lock file has grown too large' message has been Ok'd is the
lock file re-set, or do I need to do anything else?

Thanks for your time with this matter.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn@apex <a...@gmcompute.com> wrote in message

> Hi all,

> I have a 2 machine peer to peer network customer, (Win '98) with an
> application developed in D4 using Paradox tables.

> They have recently received the message 'Lock file grown too large'...
What
> does this signify? and what should I do to rectify the situation please?

> Regards

> Glenn

Re:Lock file grown too large?

The answers can be clearly found both of the referred documents.
To clarify:

> i) I have my application in DRIVELETTER:\KEY and my tables in
>   DRIVELETTER/KEY/DATA. presumably this is not the same as having the
> executionable in the same directory as the tables?

this setting is OK

> ii) What do I do (where does it go) with the suggested code for setting
the
> PrivateDir and NetFileDir put it in my application startup code?

our solution to this:
- Create a NET directory in the DATA dir, and set the sessions' NetFileDir
to this directory
- Create a unique dir in the WINDOWS TEMP directory, and set the privatedir
to this dir (this directory is deleted on application exit)
all the above must be done _before_ any database operation

> iii) I have already set the Net Dir to the data directory using the DBE
> administrator in the Paradox configuration/definition. Is this the same
> thing?

no

> iv) When the 'lock file has grown too large' message has been Ok'd is the
> lock file re-set, or do I need to do anything else?

I don't know.

w.

Re:Lock file grown too large?

i) It is not the same.

ii) Put the code in the OnCreate event handler of the main form. Make sure
that all Database connections are closed at design time and that you do not
open any database connections until after you set the NetDir and PrivateDir.

iii) I do not recommend using the data directory as the NetDir. Put the
network control files in a directory of their own.

iv) You will need to get everyone out of the app so the lock file will be
deleted by the BDE.

Bill

--

Bill Todd - TeamB