How to Move Data from ASCII text file to Paradox Table

I have a database created in DOS that easily can be converted to an ASCII
text file.

Would someone suggest:

1.  A good way to move the converted text file data into an empty Paradox
table?

2.  Additional places to look for answers to questions like this?

Thanks for your help.

Re:How to Move Data from ASCII text file to Paradox Table

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998 22:59:01 -0700, "Oscar Speed"

<osp...@primenet.com> wrote:
>I have a database created in DOS that easily can be converted to an ASCII
>text file.

>Would someone suggest:

>1.  A good way to move the converted text file data into an empty Paradox
>table?

>2.  Additional places to look for answers to questions like this?

>Thanks for your help.

There are several ways to do this. The easiest will be with some of
the third party import/export components. A good place to look for
these is the Delphi Super Page (sunsite.icm.edu.pl/delphi) or Torry's
(www.torry.ru). These allow you to read/write CSV files directly. You
can also write your own quick and dirty code if it's a one time shot.

Secondly, you can use the BDE ASCII driver. It's not super well
documented, but there are some docs around. There was a good 2 part
article a while ago in either the Delph Informant or Delph Magazine
(I'd have to go back and look) that has code examples for this. If you
have access to these magazines, let me know & I'll give you the
reference. It was written by another Team B member.

Finally, you could use something like Quattro Pro if you're doing it
yourself as a one time conversion. You could also use a product like
Data Junction that is designed to do these conversions, depending on
the budget for the project.

Steve F (Team B)

Re:How to Move Data from ASCII text file to Paradox Table

Steve, thanks for so much excellent information - it got the job done.  The
article you referred to is 'Delphi Import/Export' by Bill Todd, Delphi
Informant, May 1998.  It was very helpful.

Re:How to Move Data from ASCII text file to Paradox Table

In article <74t0j2$h...@forums.borland.com>,
  "Oscar Speed" <osp...@primenet.com> wrote:

> I have a database created in DOS that easily can be converted to an ASCII
> text file.

> Would someone suggest:

> 1.  A good way to move the converted text file data into an empty Paradox
> table?

Paradox itself will do a pretty good job of importing either fixed or
delimited files, if you use its import wizard. If you need more massaging,
consider a generic parser such as ParseRat
(http://www.guysoftware.com/parserat.htm) - $29.95 with 30 day evaluation
copy at no cost.