porting existing pascal programs

Dear Group Readers

  It is likely possible that this question has been put here before.  I
am completely new to the list,
 but noticed that these groups are quite active.

  I have several existing pascal programs, written in quite standard
pascal for a compiler of Sun
 under Solaris.  These programs serve for treating certain databases.

  Now, I am looking for a possibility to port the whole thing to a PC,
Windows 95, environment.
 What should I do?

   Somebody advised me to consider Delphi, as being a new development
tool.   Is it possible/easy?
  to transport pascal-code into Delphi?   Are there tools available
which are helpful with this?
 How about Turbo-Pascal?  Does this exist still?

   Grateful for all help and suggestions.

   Paul Igodt

--
Prof. Dr. Paul Igodt
K.U.Leuven Campus Kortrijk

Re:porting existing pascal programs

Paul Igodt wrote:
>   I have several existing pascal programs, written in quite standard
> pascal for a compiler of Sun
>  under Solaris.  These programs serve for treating certain databases.

>   Now, I am looking for a possibility to port the whole thing to a PC,

> Windows 95, environment.
>  What should I do?

     Several of the newer Pascal implementations run on Windows 95.
They may also adhere to the Pascal Standard better than the Borland
languages, so if you are porting
code, these may be a better bet.

     There are several things to worry about in porting Pascal
programs.  One is subtle differences in the language and implementation
(such things as 16 vs 32-bit integers, for example).  A much bigger
worry is i/o, as almost every Pascal implementation handles mapping of
file variables to external files slightly differently.

     I have recently been porting some of my older Standard Pascal
programs to Prospero Extended Pascal, and have found the process not too
painful.

Bob Schor
Pascal Enthusiast

Re:porting existing pascal programs

Turbo Pascal does still exist.

depending on the complexity of your pascal programs,
it should be relatively easy to port your code to delphi.

After all, Delphi is Object Oriented Pascal.

If you want any more help, email me.

I'd be willing to look at this task in more detail if you send me some
sample code to port!

Dan

Paul Igodt wrote in message <358E50F3.4CE48...@kulak.ac.be>...
>Dear Group Readers

>  It is likely possible that this question has been put here before.  I
>am completely new to the list,
> but noticed that these groups are quite active.

>  I have several existing pascal programs, written in quite standard
>pascal for a compiler of Sun
> under Solaris.  These programs serve for treating certain databases.

>  Now, I am looking for a possibility to port the whole thing to a PC,
>Windows 95, environment.
> What should I do?

>   Somebody advised me to consider Delphi, as being a new development
>tool.   Is it possible/easy?
>  to transport pascal-code into Delphi?   Are there tools available
>which are helpful with this?
> How about Turbo-Pascal?  Does this exist still?

>   Grateful for all help and suggestions.

>   Paul Igodt

>--
>Prof. Dr. Paul Igodt
>K.U.Leuven Campus Kortrijk
>Departement Wiskunde
>Etienne Sabbelaan 53
>B 8500 Kortrijk
>Tel. (+32)((0)56) 24 61 37
>Fax. (+32)((0)56) 24 69 99
>E-mail: Paul.Ig...@kulak.ac.be
>Homepage: http://www.kulak.ac.be/~igodt
>Homepage Vlaamse Wiskunde Olympiade/Flanders Mathematics Olympiad
>http://www.kulak.ac.be/vwo/nl/vwowwwnl.html

Other Threads