Restore takes > 35 hours for 7GB db IB7.0.0.206 on Solaris

I need this restore to take less time. I am using the comand line gbak commamd on Solaris. I bought IB V7 because IB 6.0.1 to see if it made things faster. I restore without indexes that saves 1/2 hour. I tried puting the backup and the destination on seprate physical drives that did not help. I tried the - es options and tried combonations of the buffers. I would appreciate any ideas

Re:Restore takes > 35 hours for 7GB db IB7.0.0.206 on Solaris

I'm not certain what to tell you other than I have a 31 GB DB
that under windows restores in ~12 hours (with indexes).

George Woodyard wrote:
> I tried the - es options and tried combonations of the buffers. I
> would appreciate any ideas

        If you're not already doing this, turn off verbose output.  This seems
to slow down restores.

        -Craig

Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase Perf. Monitor : http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPerformanceMonitor
InterBase PLANalyzer 1.1: http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

George Woodyard wrote:
>I bought IB V7 because IB 6.0.1 to see if it made things faster.

I recently performed an extensive benchmark of IB7 backup/restore performance.

I found that IB7 restore was up to 50% slower than IB6.5. When I asked Borland
about this, they told me it was to be expected. I *guess* it has something to do
with the changes that were made for SMP support.

The CPU affinity didn't affect the results as IB7 restore, as IB6.5 did, always
used only one CPU.

Finally I measured the effect different page and buffer sizes had on restore
performance:

Page    Buffer  Elapsed time
size    size    in minutes
----------------------------