Can Ace reports do Text reports?

Hi
Does anyone know if Ace reports can do "text" reports for Dot Matrix
printers?
Theo

Re:Can Ace reports do Text reports?

In article <368E0F51.553AF...@global.co.za>, Theo Pistorius wrote:
> Does anyone know if Ace reports can do "text" reports for Dot Matrix
> printers?

Like all the other Windows reporting tools, we use the Windows API to
do the printing.  This makes "text" reports difficult.  You need to
manually set the font in code to match a built-in printer font (the
printer fonts don't show in the drop-down list for Delphi's TFont).
You also need to make the band height match the height of a physical
printer line (usually 1/6 inch).

Another approach is to use the Generic Text driver, and still another
approach is to use the example in ACE\SAMPLES\MISC\TEXTOUT2 to create a
real text output by attaching code to each band's OnAfterPrint event.

Regards,
Steve Tyrakowski
www.sct-associates.com

Re:Can Ace reports do Text reports?

Steves ACE reporter is great product, but as always for some tasks
some tools are better then others.

For dot-matrix printing, you may want to try our HTMLReport
It has such feature built-in.
And I believe you are already somewhat familiar with our tool ?
Gintaras Pikelis
Baltic Solutions
http://www.balticsolutions.com

Re:Can Ace reports do Text reports?

Gintares
Yep, I downloaded the demo and played with it. I think I must be stupid
though. I cannot
get to build even a simple report with FF. I might hit  the help files
to get going though. Normally I just try to "logically" work out how a
reporter works. So far I am missing something.
Theo
Gintaras Pikelis wrote:
> Steves ACE reporter is great product, but as always for some tasks
> some tools are better then others.

> For dot-matrix printing, you may want to try our HTMLReport
> It has such feature built-in.
> And I believe you are already somewhat familiar with our tool ?
> Gintaras Pikelis
> Baltic Solutions
> http://www.balticsolutions.com

Re:Can Ace reports do Text reports?

Hi Theo

>Yep, I downloaded the demo and played with it.
>I think I must be stupid though. I cannot
>get to build even a simple report with FF. I might hit  the help files
>to get going though. Normally I just try to "logically" work out how a
>reporter works. So far I am missing something.

Yes, HTMLReport is "somewhat" different than other reporting
packages, that are band-oriented

So far the best way to get started with it is explore the demos,
help file or ask me. We are currently writing manual/tutorial
and soon will be publishing it online.
Gintaras Pikelis
Baltic Solutions
http://www.balticsolutions.com

Re:Can Ace reports do Text reports?

ReportPrinterPro2.0S (from www.nevrona.com) can do ASCII plain text reports
very well.  It includes a converter which can take its own formatted report
with fancy fonts to one with just plain text--I use it to handle printing
of reports with fancy fonts to a laser printer, and then having the same
report print without any fancy fonts to upload to a mainframe database.
Good luck.
Gene

Theo Pistorius <nazca...@global.co.za> wrote in article
<368F227B.BECE...@global.co.za>...

> Gintares
> Yep, I downloaded the demo and played with it. I think I must be stupid
> though. I cannot
> get to build even a simple report with FF. I might hit  the help files
> to get going though. Normally I just try to "logically" work out how a
> reporter works. So far I am missing something.
> Theo

> Gintaras Pikelis wrote:

> > Steves ACE reporter is great product, but as always for some tasks
> > some tools are better then others.

> > For dot-matrix printing, you may want to try our HTMLReport
> > It has such feature built-in.
> > And I believe you are already somewhat familiar with our tool ?
> > Gintaras Pikelis
> > Baltic Solutions
> > http://www.balticsolutions.com

Other Threads