Performance of inserts into MS SQL Server

Hello,

We are having perfomance problems transferring data from Interbase
into SQL Server using Data Migration Expert (comes with Delphi, a.k.a.
data pump). The transfer of 4 thousand record table takes 40 minutes
(with no noticable disk or processor activity) - has anyone
experienced this before? Maybe found a solution?

TIA,
Pawel Pietrusinski

Re:Performance of inserts into MS SQL Server

Hi

This is way to slow. I insert 5000 records using ODBC Express to MSSQL in
15 seconds. Try to migrate data self by using 2 queries, one select and the
other insert.
Use transactions if posible, much faster.

Hannes

Gene Petryk <gene.pet...@estimadata.se> wrote in article
<334191ce.6242...@nntpserver.swip.net>...

> Hello,

> We are having perfomance problems transferring data from Interbase
> into SQL Server using Data Migration Expert (comes with Delphi, a.k.a.
> data pump). The transfer of 4 thousand record table takes 40 minutes
> (with no noticable disk or processor activity) - has anyone
> experienced this before? Maybe found a solution?

> TIA,
> Pawel Pietrusinski

Re:Performance of inserts into MS SQL Server

G2S - Paris - France

Re:Performance of inserts into MS SQL Server

We are having similar problems with inserts to MS SQL.  Takes approx. 1
second per record for inserts.  We are using Delphi 2.01 & SQL Links 3.5.
MS SQL 6.5 is on NT4 server with 64MB RAM.

What is ODBC Express, and how does it compare to SQL Links.  Could you give
me a description of your MS SQL setup as I am curious how you get so much
better performance than we are achieving.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Hannes Visagie <glo...@iafrica.com> wrote in article
<01bc3f53$43fe3560$42790...@hwv.ggtest.za>...

> Hi

> This is way to slow. I insert 5000 records using ODBC Express to MSSQL in
> 15 seconds. Try to migrate data self by using 2 queries, one select and
the
> other insert.
> Use transactions if posible, much faster.

Re:Performance of inserts into MS SQL Server

Hi

ODBC Express replace the BDE, but u must use there components. You talk
directly to the ODBC layer. Look at www.odbcexpress.com. With there new
version to be released, they talk about even better preformance.

My results on:
Server NT4, Pentium 133 IDE 2 Gig 64 Meg Ram. MSSQL 6.0 standard setup. No
tuning.
Client Pentium 133 Ide 1 Gig 32 Meg Ram Ethernet 10, MSSQL ODBC Layer

With the BDE set your alias to SHARED NO AUTOCOMMIT and handle your commits
by starttransaction, commit, rollback, etc. Use queries to do inserts. This
should help but I still got better preformance with ODBC Express.

Hope it helps

Hannes

Dwight Muhlbeier <muhlb...@cadvision.com> wrote in article
<01bc40a1$c6780d00$4347e4cf@default>...

> We are having similar problems with inserts to MS SQL.  Takes approx. 1
> second per record for inserts.  We are using Delphi 2.01 & SQL Links 3.5.
> MS SQL 6.5 is on NT4 server with 64MB RAM.

> What is ODBC Express, and how does it compare to SQL Links.  Could you
give
> me a description of your MS SQL setup as I am curious how you get so much
> better performance than we are achieving.

> Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Re:Performance of inserts into MS SQL Server

On 4 Apr 1997 02:45:38 GMT, "Dwight Muhlbeier"

<muhlb...@cadvision.com> wrote:
>We are having similar problems with inserts to MS SQL.  Takes approx. 1
>second per record for inserts.  We are using Delphi 2.01 & SQL Links 3.5.

[snip]

Have you tried manipulating the database settings on the SQL
Enterprise Manager?   I remember seeing an Option called something
like "bulk inserts" or "bulk operations."
--
Paul Munn | http://www.munn.com/~pmunn | pm...@munn.com

Other Threads