Installation under Windows 2000 fails

I tried to install Delphi 4 under Windows 2000 (different versions,
Beta and RC2; Professional and Server). It never works.

The installation program always fails at the moment to copy files
from CD (or hard disk - doesn't work too). It doesn't matter which
options are chosen. It seems that the files are simply not copied
(because the copying phase lasts less than one second) and then the
installation routine progress to the end.

Does someone know a solution better than the following? Install
Delphi 4 under Windows NT 4; then upgrade Windows NT 4 to Windows
2000. Works perfectly, but lasts damn long and you are not able
to install more afterwards.

Best wishes and thanks for all replys
Alexander

Re:Installation under Windows 2000 fails

Hi

>I tried to install Delphi 4 under Windows 2000 (different versions,
>Beta and RC2; Professional and Server). It never works.

>The installation program always fails at the moment to copy files
>from CD (or hard disk - doesn't work too). It doesn't matter which
>options are chosen. It seems that the files are simply not copied

Is your cd not corrupt ? (read error)
I installed D4 and D5 in 2000 no probs.

balbaro

Re:Installation under Windows 2000 fails

Installing Delphi4 under windows 2000 is a nightmare. Delphi5 installs
easily.
If you dual boot install it under 2000 then re-install it under the
other windows version to the same disk area (Assuming it's not NTFS)
Other than that Install it then overwrite  it with the directories from
a normal installation. IE after installing copy the contents of Program
Files/Borland over the 2000 installation by either deleting and copying
or copying each directories contents.
You will also have to copy several DLL's to the system32 directory.
Do this as you get the various 'not found' messages.
I got it working after a couple of hours but decided to by 5 in the end.
Nick
Alexander Nitschke wrote:

> I tried to install Delphi 4 under Windows 2000 (different versions,
> Beta and RC2; Professional and Server). It never works.

> The installation program always fails at the moment to copy files
> from CD (or hard disk - doesn't work too). It doesn't matter which
> options are chosen. It seems that the files are simply not copied
> (because the copying phase lasts less than one second) and then the
> installation routine progress to the end.

> Does someone know a solution better than the following? Install
> Delphi 4 under Windows NT 4; then upgrade Windows NT 4 to Windows
> 2000. Works perfectly, but lasts damn long and you are not able
> to install more afterwards.

> Best wishes and thanks for all replys
> Alexander

Re:Installation under Windows 2000 fails

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 19:57:10 +0100, Alexander Nitschke

<nits1...@mailszrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>I tried to install Delphi 4 under Windows 2000 (different versions,
>Beta and RC2; Professional and Server). It never works.

>The installation program always fails at the moment to copy files
>from CD (or hard disk - doesn't work too). It doesn't matter which
>options are chosen. It seems that the files are simply not copied
>(because the copying phase lasts less than one second) and then the
>installation routine progress to the end.

>Does someone know a solution better than the following? Install
>Delphi 4 under Windows NT 4; then upgrade Windows NT 4 to Windows
>2000. Works perfectly, but lasts damn long and you are not able
>to install more afterwards.

This only occurred with one RC or Windows 2000 (a now old and discontinued
beta version) and only one version of Delphi (Delphi 4). The problem did
not occur with Delphi 1-3 or Delphi 5. The problem did not occur with later
RCs of Windows 2000.

The answer to your problem is to get a later RC. Microsoft fixed whatever
it was that was inteferring with the Delphi 4 installation.

                                                              -- Redd Foxx

Other Threads