Help w/ New Grid Component

Hello Everyone,

I am looking at creating a new grid component that is essentially a
"tree grid".  The grid will group data under a heading specified.  For
example, in a client database, you might display all your contacts
grouped by company.  The company name would sit on a "panel" and have
all the detail records below it in a grid.  The panel would also have a
"+/-" button to expand or collapse that section of the grid.  My
question is then, firstly, is this even possible?  Can you "break" a
grid in various locations and still be able to navigate through the grid
and expand/collapse only portions of the grid?  Any thoughts on this
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Re:Help w/ New Grid Component

Robert Walter  wrote:
> Hello Everyone,

> I am looking at creating a new grid component that is essentially a
> "tree grid".  The grid will group data under a heading specified.  For
> example, in a client database, you might display all your contacts
> grouped by company.  The company name would sit on a "panel" and have
> all the detail records below it in a grid.  The panel would also have
> "+/-" button to expand or collapse that section of the grid.  My
> question is then, firstly, is this even possible?  Can you "break" a
> grid in various locations and still be able to navigate through the
grid
> and expand/collapse only portions of the grid?  Any thoughts on this
> would be appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Robert

Why not use multiple grids (one for each "portion" of the grid you want
to expand/collapse independently)?

Regards

Nicolai Buch-Andersen
ni...@mip.sdu.dk

Re:Help w/ New Grid Component

Hello,

I have built one that uses multiple string grids, one for each section.
The problem I had with that is that each grid displayed its own row
highlight selector and that would be very confusing for the users.
Plus, I had the trouble of at run time determining which was the
"active" grid.  The users need to be able to click on a row the grid to
load the details screen of the row they selected.

Regards,

Robert

Nicolai Buch-Andersen wrote:

> Robert Walter  wrote:

> > Hello Everyone,

> > I am looking at creating a new grid component that is essentially a
> > "tree grid".  The grid will group data under a heading specified.  For
> > example, in a client database, you might display all your contacts
> > grouped by company.  The company name would sit on a "panel" and have
> > all the detail records below it in a grid.  The panel would also have
> > "+/-" button to expand or collapse that section of the grid.  My
> > question is then, firstly, is this even possible?  Can you "break" a
> > grid in various locations and still be able to navigate through the
> grid
> > and expand/collapse only portions of the grid?  Any thoughts on this
> > would be appreciated.

> > Thanks,

> > Robert

> Why not use multiple grids (one for each "portion" of the grid you want
> to expand/collapse independently)?

> Regards

> Nicolai Buch-Andersen
> ni...@mip.sdu.dk

|  Robert Walter           _______                         |
|  Software Engineer         | |  |          _|_      _    |
|  rober...@thentec.com.au   | |  |/| /_\ |\  |  /_\ /     |
|                            |/   | | \_  | | \_ \_  \_    |
|  Phone +61 7 3371 6611     THENTEC GROUP OF COMPANIES    |
|  Fax   +61 7 3371 6633     http://www.thentec.com.au     |

Re:Help w/ New Grid Component

<<Gilles Muys:
Developing such a component will take you a lot of time. Why don't you try
QuantumGrid from Developers Express? Their grid component does exactly what
you describe, and much much much much much more. It looks great and
professional, is fast, and is VERY easy to use
....>>>
Hi !

I didn't find it on web, do you know the URL ?

Thanks,

--

Bjoerge

Re:Help w/ New Grid Component

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 07:35:47 +1000, Robert Walter
<rober...@thentec.com.au> scribbled:

>Hello Everyone,

>I am looking at creating a new grid component that is essentially a
>"tree grid".  The grid will group data under a heading specified.  For
>example, in a client database, you might display all your contacts
>grouped by company.  The company name would sit on a "panel" and have
>all the detail records below it in a grid.  The panel would also have a
>"+/-" button to expand or collapse that section of the grid.  My

[Snip]

Hi Robert,

I think you might want to take a peek at the TSectionList component from
TMS Software at :

http://www.tmssoftware.com/

I must admit I haven't tried it much because I couldn't get the custom
editor to work at design time in D2 (despite the fact it claims to work
in D2 onwards). AFAIK it isn't DB-aware and the source code costs a bit
of money - but if you can get it working it might give you some ideas...

HTH,

Dave.

--
Dave Hughes (d...@waveform.free-online.co.uk)