Help: "Help file to large"

Hi all,

I have Borland TP7 and when i try to read some help files, it
comes up with the message "Help topic to large".

I have a 486 dx2 50mhz with 16 mg ram. so this shouildnt be the
problem......

So any answers would be appreciated.

Bye

Alastair Sheppard

Re:Help: "Help file to large"

Alastair Sheppard wrote:
> I have Borland TP7 and when i try to read some help files, it
> comes up with the message "Help topic to large".
> I have a 486 dx2 50mhz with 16 mg ram. so this shouildnt be the
> problem......

Was that "Help file too large" or "Help topic too large"? I doubt that
it's the first, so what you have run into is a limitation in the help
file code. Without actually taking time to look into the TV Helpfile
stuff, I would bet that you have done one of two things:

  1. You have made a help topic and named it something like,
"HelpOnSuchAndSuchWithSuchAndSuchUnderSuchAndSuchConditions." This is
apparently too long a name for a help topic.

  2. You have too much help text under one particular halp context. I am
not sure what the limitation is, but it is possible that you exceeded
it. I would imagine this would require something on the order of 32K
bytes of text.

Either that or it's that damn 486DX2/50-16MB of yours. Just not big
enough to handle things like help topics. I suggest you upgrade to a
Pentium/200 with at least 128MB of ram. And don't even bother if you
don't have at least 10GB of hard drive space available and an ISDN
modem...

AME

Re:Help: "Help file to large"

Alastair Sheppard <alast...@overd.gen.nz> wrote:
>Hi all,

>I have Borland TP7 and when i try to read some help files, it
>comes up with the message "Help topic to large".

>I have a 486 dx2 50mhz with 16 mg ram. so this shouildnt be the
>problem......

>So any answers would be appreciated.

>Bye

>Alastair Sheppard

It may be lack of free memory in the lower 640kb ('conventional
memory'). TP can handle only conventional memory. If you also have
access to BP7, try that one. BP potentially uses all 16 Mb of your
system.

If you must use TP, see how many programs are loaded in conventional
memory before you start TP, by issuing the following DOS command:

MEM /C |MORE

See if you can free more conventional memory, probably by changing
some things in your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files. The DOS manual
will inform you about this issue.

J.R. Ferguson, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
e-mail: j.r.fergu...@iname.com
web: www.xs4all.nl/~ferguson
Freeware for DOS and Windows

Other Threads