Memo fields in Delphi and Text fields in MS SQL 6.5

Hello to everyone.

I notice that a lot of people have the same problem as myself with the
database memo fields in Delphi 3 C/S.

I spent a lot of time cursing Delphi when I was trying to retrieve memo
fields from MS SQL 6.5 but always got a General SQL error
instead. In MS SQL 6.5 text fields are the equivalent to memo fields and
there is a problem trying to retrieve them.
Try switching on you SQL Monitor and running your application trying to
retrieve a field of this type and you will see that you get a reject of
7134.

Unless you are fortunate and have a support contract with
Inprise(formally Borland) you spend a lot of time trying to find the
cure.
I used one of my contract units thinking that this is a big problem only
to find that it is MS SQL 6.5 sp3 which is the problem.

So, curtesy of me and my company here is the web site informing of the
problem and how to get the cure.

http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/sqllinks/pub-84.html

It's a shame that nobody from Inprise could inform all us lost soles on
the newsgroup of this simple cure.!!!

All the best

Christopher Hampton-Pidgeon
Analyst\Programmer
www.aga-rayburn.co.uk
E-Mail : champ...@aga-rayburn.co.uk

Re:Memo fields in Delphi and Text fields in MS SQL 6.5

This does  not work with Small Business Server, I'm still stuck until
Microsoft release the SBS fix.

Tim Bailey

Hampton-Pidgeon, Christopher wrote in message

<7B4AFCA19AFED01193DC00805F058DA4051...@INFOTECH2.aga-rayburn.co.uk>...
>Hello to everyone.

>I notice that a lot of people have the same problem as myself with the
>database memo fields in Delphi 3 C/S.

>I spent a lot of time cursing Delphi when I was trying to retrieve memo
>fields from MS SQL 6.5 but always got a General SQL error
>instead. In MS SQL 6.5 text fields are the equivalent to memo fields and
>there is a problem trying to retrieve them.
>Try switching on you SQL Monitor and running your application trying to
>retrieve a field of this type and you will see that you get a reject of
>7134.

>Unless you are fortunate and have a support contract with
>Inprise(formally Borland) you spend a lot of time trying to find the
>cure.
>I used one of my contract units thinking that this is a big problem only
>to find that it is MS SQL 6.5 sp3 which is the problem.

>So, curtesy of me and my company here is the web site informing of the
>problem and how to get the cure.

>http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/sqllinks/pub-84.html

>It's a shame that nobody from Inprise could inform all us lost soles on
>the newsgroup of this simple cure.!!!

>All the best

>Christopher Hampton-Pidgeon
>Analyst\Programmer
>www.aga-rayburn.co.uk
>E-Mail : champ...@aga-rayburn.co.uk

Re:Memo fields in Delphi and Text fields in MS SQL 6.5

"Hampton-Pidgeon, Christopher" <CHamp...@aga-rayburn.co.uk> wrote:

Hello Christopher.

>So, curtesy of me and my company here is the web site informing of the
>problem and how to get the cure.

I thought that Borland / Inprise had the following on their web-site,
normally searchable.

>http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/sqllinks/pub-84.html

>It's a shame that nobody from Inprise could inform all us lost soles on
>the newsgroup of this simple cure.!!!

It was noted in threads starting 7-Aug-97, 1-Dec-97 and 30-Mar-98,
besides 1-May-98.  I normally use a search engine if it's there ;-)
as well as the Developer Support pages.  One thing that Inprise could do
to stream-line things would be to monthly post the support page web
addresses on their announcement newsgroups.

Regards,
Chris Roberts

Re:Memo fields in Delphi and Text fields in MS SQL 6.5

Hello!

Hampton-Pidgeon, Christopher wrote in message

<7B4AFCA19AFED01193DC00805F058DA4051...@INFOTECH2.aga-rayburn.co.uk>...
[...]

>So, curtesy of me and my company here is the web site informing of the
>problem and how to get the cure.

>http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/sqllinks/pub-84.html

Trying to get that file noted by Borland's "cure page" I found out that
Microsoft released service pack 4 for SQL server. It seems the bug fixed in
it. However, to check this, one (including myself) have to download 5.5 MB
instead of 2.7 as for the noted cure.

Boris Ponomarev
po...@igc.irk.ru

Re:Memo fields in Delphi and Text fields in MS SQL 6.5

Hi there Chris Roberts,
Thanks for the information. No wonder I could not find this information.
I could have saved 1 of my support units. Never mind, At least it's been
placed under SQLSERVERs now. By the way, did you know that you can also
have a similar problem if the TEMPDB database in MS SQL 6.5 is left at
its default 20mb size. Increase it and you find that this helps when
trying to retrieve your TEXT/BLOB  data.

Any idea why this particular problem was posted in Threads. Is there a
problem here that we should be aware of?

All the best
Chris

Christopher Hampton-Pidgeon
Analyst\Programmer
www.aga-rayburn.co.uk
E-Mail : champ...@aga-rayburn.co.uk

Hi Boris,

You do realise that the 2.7 is a compress file??

Cheers

Chris

Christopher Hampton-Pidgeon
Analyst\Programmer