EEDFACE and login problems with MSSQL server and TDatabase component

I am tying to get a connection to Microsoft SQL Server within a DLL via
ODBC. Even when I use a login screen, the login fails. I get an error in the
calling program of type EEDFACE. I find no reference to this error in my
docs. I am using Delphi 2 to write the DLL and calling it from Delphi 3.

By the way, the connection works just fine from the IDE. It also works in 3
other applications accessing the same DB, but from an EXE.

I am using only the parameter USER NAME, because there is no password
required at present.