Database Desktop and Paradox versions question

Hi,

I am using Delphi 3.0 and just noticed something funny in DBD.

I created a new table of type Paradox7, and created some fields for it.  Then
I closed and reopened the table and went into the restructure window.  The
restructure window told me I was restructuring a Paradox 5.0 for Windows table ???

Anyone know why it doesn't recognize the newly created PDox7 table ?

Is there some major difference between PDox 7 and PDox 5 for Windows ?

Thanks,

Hordur Thordarson
Project Manager
Highspeed Information

Re:Database Desktop and Paradox versions question

H?reur Trearson (hordu...@islandia.is) wrote:

: I created a new table of type Paradox7, and created some fields for it.  Then
: I closed and reopened the table and went into the restructure window.  The
: restructure window told me I was restructuring a Paradox 5.0 for Windows table ???

: Anyone know why it doesn't recognize the newly created PDox7 table ?

Your table will only be saved as a Paradox 7 table if you
used some feature only available to a Paradox 7 table, such
as a descending index.  Even if you said you were creating
a Paradox 7 table, it will be saved as a Paradox 4 or Paradox 5
table if it can be done.  The only time this causes a problem
is if you create a table with a long file name and want to
use it as a lookup table; this is only supported for Paradox
7 tables, but the table will not automatically be upgraded
to Paradox 7.  Apparently this is a bug, and work-arounds have
recently been discussed at comp.databases.paradox
Rick Carter   carte...@email.uc.edu   rcar...@tso.cin.ix.net

Re:Database Desktop and Paradox versions question

Can't you change the table level setting in the BDE cfg file to default to
level 7 tables? I tested it by changing the level setting from 4 to 7, then
created a single alpha field table, Table Repair confirms that it is a
version 7 table.

--
Greg R. Johnson
CompuCom

In article <656psq$...@news.icongrp.com> "Greg Johnson" <gjohn...@mail.icongrp.com> writes:
>Can't you change the table level setting in the BDE cfg file to default to
>level 7 tables? I tested it by changing the level setting from 4 to 7, then
>created a single alpha field table, Table Repair confirms that it is a
>version 7 table.
>Richard K Carter wrote in message <655nqn$oc...@news.ececs.uc.edu>...
>>H?reur Trearson (hordu...@islandia.is) wrote:
>>: I created a new table of type Paradox7, and created some fields for it.
>Then
>>: I closed and reopened the table and went into the restructure window.
>The
>>: restructure window told me I was restructuring a Paradox 5.0 for Windows
>table ???

>>: Anyone know why it doesn't recognize the newly created PDox7 table ?

>>Your table will only be saved as a Paradox 7 table if you
>>used some feature only available to a Paradox 7 table, such
>>as a descending index.  Even if you said you were creating
>>a Paradox 7 table, it will be saved as a Paradox 4 or Paradox 5
>>table if it can be done.  The only time this causes a problem
>>is if you create a table with a long file name and want to
>>use it as a lookup table; this is only supported for Paradox
>>7 tables, but the table will not automatically be upgraded
>>to Paradox 7.  Apparently this is a bug, and work-arounds have
>>recently been discussed at comp.databases.paradox

The BDE setting is the default table-version level to use with new tables, so
if you set the value to 7 then tables will be created as "at least version-7"
and this should circumvent lookup-table problems.

BDE does not "upgrade" the table level unless it sees a feature that is only
available at a higher level, so that the maximum number of BDEs out there can
use the table at all times.  (Hey Microsoft!  Don't you think this is a neat
concept?) ;-)  Furthermore, if you remove the features, BDE will "downgrade"
the table again.

Other Threads