Calling Delphi from Excel (DDE)

I need to transfer information from Excel to an already running Delphi
program.  I have been trying to get DDE to work.

My VBA is not that hot (who's is? :-) and I'm having problems doing anything
other than making the example (transferring to Word) work.

Has anyone managed to do this?  The main problem I have is that Excel only
seems to required the application and topic, but the application seems
limited to 8 characters!?!?!

Is this VBA or me?

Alternatively, any suggestions for getting an excel macro to transfer some
information to Delphi?

(BTW, Delphi 3 under NT and Win 95/98 with Office 7 and 8)

Steve