Local database in LAN

     Where can I find an example of an application using a local database in
a LAN (written in DELPHI)- where only one application would have the actual
file of the database and the others would be clients
- and I don't want it to be a remote type of database

Thanks in advance

        ma...@poczta.onet.pl

Re:Local database in LAN

What is a 'remote type of database' ?

There are two types of databases:

- File-based databases: The database consists of a single file or multiple
files in a single directory. All clients read and write directly from/to
these files.
- Server-based databases: The database resides on a database server and
clients can read and write using a specific protocol (often TCP/IP based).

Server-based databases are more stable in multi-client environments, but are
more expensive (database server licences and a dedicated server PC are
required).

If you use a file-based database (like dBase, Paradox or MS Access) with
multiple clients using the BDE be sure to make the following changes in the
BDE Administrator: set the NET DIR to the database path and set LOCAL SHARE
to TRUE.

"krzyber" <krzy...@interia.pl> schreef in bericht

>      Where can I find an example of an application using a local database
in
> a LAN (written in DELPHI)- where only one application would have the
actual
> file of the database and the others would be clients
> - and I don't want it to be a remote type of database

> Thanks in advance

>         ma...@poczta.onet.pl

Re:Local database in LAN

See Delphi example

Re:Local database in LAN

krzyber,

  If you ment on paradox, DBase and any non-Server based database, it
  is absolutely irrelevant where will be database and where
  applications as in this (desktop) type of database, all applications
  are clients.

 Put database somewhere on disk (or network drive). Add BDE alias on
 each machine and set path in alias to point to directory where you
 put database. Nothing more.

--
Best regards,
Emil Beli

http://www.greenhousemm.com
ICQ: 1878554

Tuesday, 24 October, 2000, 13:58:53 PM, you wrote:

k>      Where can I find an example of an application using a local database in
k> a LAN (written in DELPHI)- where only one application would have the actual
k> file of the database and the others would be clients
k> - and I don't want it to be a remote type of database

k> Thanks in advance

k>         ma...@poczta.onet.pl

Other Threads