How to work with BDE without it !!!???

Hi !

I'm writing an installer application to distribute my app . It's ok ,
but I have one problem :

If BDE not exists in the user system , the app will install it . No
problem , but , I need to index
my tables at runtime , using TTable.AddIndex method . When the BDE is
already installed , it's
ok , but , if not , the application generates an exception and crashes .
Can someone tell me how
to work with this situation ? Any help will be appreciated.

TIA

Angelo .

P. S. -> I don't want to work with InstallShield or any other kind of
commercial installers.

I'm writing (almost done , except for the problem above ) my own
Installer !

Re:How to work with BDE without it !!!???

Angelo Ricardo Miquelin Neto wrote:

> Hi !

> I'm writing an installer application to distribute my app . It's ok ,
> but I have one problem :

> If BDE not exists in the user system , the app will install it . No
> problem , but , I need to index
> my tables at runtime , using TTable.AddIndex method . When the BDE is
> already installed , it's
> ok , but , if not , the application generates an exception and crashes .
> Can someone tell me how
> to work with this situation ? Any help will be appreciated.

> TIA

> Angelo .

> P. S. -> I don't want to work with InstallShield or any other kind of
> commercial installers.

> I'm writing (almost done , except for the problem above ) my own
> Installer !

If you are going to work with tables you need the BDE already installed
OR a BDE replacement already installed
--
A government big enough to give everything you want,
is big enough to take all you have.   Ronald Reagan.

tjk20@<nospam>centurion.flash.net

Re:How to work with BDE without it !!!???

> > If you are going to work with tables you need the BDE already installed
> > OR a BDE replacement already installed

Oh , yes , Einstein ? Of course !!!!  I KNOW IT !!!  But , what I want it is a
way to install BDE and initialize it without to reboot the computer ( if it
possible... ) !

Thank you for your precious and useful help  .

TeamB , what you say ? Please Help !

Re:How to work with BDE without it !!!???

Angelo Ricardo Miquelin Neto wrote:

> > > If you are going to work with tables you need the BDE already installed
> > > OR a BDE replacement already installed

> Oh , yes , Einstein ? Of course !!!!  I KNOW IT !!!  But , what I want it is a
> way to install BDE and initialize it without to reboot the computer ( if it
> possible... ) !

>Thank you for your precious and useful help  .

Mhhh... interesting style and vocabulary. Must be an effect way to ask and get
for free help.

You didn't mention what Delphi version you use. If it's D1, then I can say for
100% sure that you don't need to reboot computer or Windows to get the BDE to
work. Only write those couple of lines for IDAPI to WIN.INI, and your app
will find BDE files and it will work.  Einstein!
I also wrote the installation routine myself, don't we all do that.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:How to work with BDE without it !!!???

Angelo Ricardo Miquelin Neto wrote:

> > > If you are going to work with tables you need the BDE already installed
> > > OR a BDE replacement already installed

> Oh , yes , Einstein ? Of course !!!!  I KNOW IT !!!  But , what I want it is a
> way to install BDE and initialize it without to reboot the computer ( if it
> possible... ) !

> Thank you for your precious and useful help  .

> TeamB , what you say ? Please Help !

Quoting part of your original message:

...When the BDE is already installed , it's ok , but , if not , the
...application generates an exception and crashes.
...Can someone tell me how to work with this situation ? Any help will
...be appreciated.

I assumed incorrectly that you were asking about what to do when the BDE
is not installed (read: if not, application generates and exception and
crashes).  For additional help let us know what version of Delphi you
are using, and why you need the table open, maybe there is a
workaround.  Sorry for assuming.....

Markku Nevalainen wrote:

> > Oh , yes , Einstein ? Of course !!!!  I KNOW IT !!!  But , what I want it is a
> > way to install BDE and initialize it without to reboot the computer ( if it
> > possible... ) !

> >Thank you for your precious and useful help  .

> Mhhh... interesting style and vocabulary. Must be an effect way to ask and get
> for free help.

Yes , I just  want get free help from inteligent people , who  thinks a little bit
about  threads posted here , before answer it.

> You didn't mention what Delphi version you use. If it's D1, then I can say for
> 100% sure that you don't need to reboot computer or Windows to get the BDE to
> work. Only write those couple of lines for IDAPI to WIN.INI, and your app
> will find BDE files and it will work.  Einstein!
> I also wrote the installation routine myself, don't we all do that.

> Markku Nevalainen

 Well ,  my question is not for you , Einstein II . Is D1 , and  , Einstein II ,
tell me  , how to initialize an application that will install BDE 2.52 , and it
needs this  BDE before run  ? Simple write those [IDAPI] lines in win.ini will not
work  because  BDE dlls are not already installed on the hard disk , genious ! Are
you  telling me to invoke " BDE  Spirit " from the Heaven ? ( or Hell ? )   !!  I'm
using Paradox 5 tables  , and my setup prog.  needs to add  indexes to the tables
copied to the user's HD  . Without BDE , no way !!!!!!

Another peoples ( who thinks before write somenthing ) sugested me to  divide my
setup in two parts , first will install and configure the BDE if it is not present
and the second part  , install the whole application and work with the tables .

Goodbye ,

Angelo .

Timothy J. Kelly wrote:

> > Oh , yes , Einstein ? Of course !!!!  I KNOW IT !!!  But , what I want it is a
> > way to install BDE and initialize it without to reboot the computer ( if it
> > possible... ) !

> > Thank you for your precious and useful help  .

> > TeamB , what you say ? Please Help !

> Quoting part of your original message:

> ...When the BDE is already installed , it's ok , but , if not , the
> ...application generates an exception and crashes.
> ...Can someone tell me how to work with this situation ? Any help will
> ...be appreciated.

> I assumed incorrectly that you were asking about what to do when the BDE
> is not installed (read: if not, application generates and exception and
> crashes).  For additional help let us know what version of Delphi you
> are using, and why you need the table open, maybe there is a
> workaround.  Sorry for assuming.....

 Timothy :

I'm sorry by my answer . I was a little angry with this problem , an with others .

I'm changing my application setup . The first part will check if BDE is installed or
not , and will install it , if not .
The second part will work with the tables and indexes . I think this will work and
solve my problem .
I'm sorry , again , and thank you .

Angelo .

Re:How to work with BDE without it !!!???

You might note that your Delphi license agreement requres that you use
a Borland certified installation program to install the BDE.

There is no requirement that I am aware of that you reboot the
computer before the BDE will run.  Once the BDE is installed you
should be able to execute another program that uses the BDE and create
the indexes.

Another alternative would be to have your application check for the
existence of the index when it starts and if it does not find the
index create it.

Bill

(Sorry but TeamB cannot answer support questions received via email.              )
(To send me email for any other reason remove .nospam from my address.)

Re:How to work with BDE without it !!!???

Angelo Ricardo Miquelin Neto wrote:

>  Well ,  my question is not for you , Einstein II . Is D1 , and  , Einstein II ,
> tell me  , how to initialize an application that will install BDE 2.52 , and it
> needs this  BDE before run  ? Simple write those [IDAPI] lines in win.ini will not
> work  because  BDE dlls are not already installed on the hard disk , genious ! Are
> you  telling me to invoke " BDE  Spirit " from the Heaven ? ( or Hell ? )   !!  I'm
> using Paradox 5 tables  , and my setup prog.  needs to add  indexes to the tables
> copied to the user's HD  . Without BDE , no way !!!!!!

> Another peoples ( who thinks before write somenthing ) sugested me to  divide my
> setup in two parts , first will install and configure the BDE if it is not present
> and the second part  , install the whole application and work with the tables .

Go on, you'll find the way, you are already getting near with your quessings.

C'mon, no one is asking you to crawl or kiss anyones a**. Just a plain
asking, with your ordinary, everyday typing rage will do it.

Markku Nevalainen

Bill Todd (TeamB) wrote:

> You might note that your Delphi license agreement requres that you use
> a Borland certified installation program to install the BDE.

I don't think there is anything like this in D1 license agreement. You'll just
have to deliver all the BDE files, and that's it.

Markku Nevalainen

Other Threads