My Delphi Roadmap

2005-09-28 07:11:20 AM
delphi15
+Delphi 2006
Multilingual IDE & Menues
+Delphi 2007
Multilingual Libraries integrated with IDE
(like Application.MessageDlg)
but this time, working...
+Delphi 2009
Delphi for Windows CE
+Delphi 2010
The .Net/64 bits stuff that Borland is planning.
Seems to me that Borland, it is much into
the .NET hype, but not taking serious
some easy but necessary updates...
Oh, I forgot, the small company
I work for, already change to Visual Studio .Net
Cheers.
email:
mramirez (a.t.) star (h.y.p.h.e.n.) dev (d.o.t.) com
web:
- star-dev.com
- oml.star-dev.com

Re:My Delphi Roadmap

Delphi 2006
Full integration into Microsoft Office, replace VBA.
Delphi 2007
Full integration with the Accounting systems I support.
Oliver Townshend

Re:My Delphi Roadmap

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:35:18 +1000, Oliver Townshend writes:
Delphi 2006
Full integration into Microsoft Office, replace VBA.
Possibly more than a pipe dream since Office will soon host the CLR
for scripting.
--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc rohloff -at- myrealbox -dot- com

Re:My Delphi Roadmap

Possibly more than a pipe dream since Office will soon host the CLR
for scripting.
And clients will continue to run Office 97.
Oliver Townshend

Re:My Delphi Roadmap

Oliver Townshend writes:
Delphi 2007
Full integration with the Accounting systems I support.
Something I would like, too <g>but I doubt if this is something that will
ever be available "out of the box".
Which accounting systems do you support? I am interested mostly in Sage
and MYOB (Australian product)
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:My Delphi Roadmap

mramirez writes:
Seems to me that Borland, it is much into
the .NET hype, but not taking serious
some easy but necessary updates...

Oh, I forgot, the small company
I work for, already change to Visual Studio .Net
Hmm, you don't see the point of .NET but yet your company switched to
it? I think it is the next generation of software development
--
Robert Love
Blog: peakxml.com

Re:My Delphi Roadmap

I think it is the next generation of software development
Yes, but skip forward 5 years to Sept 2005.
"Robert Love" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
mramirez writes:

>Seems to me that Borland, it is much into
>the .NET hype, but not taking serious
>some easy but necessary updates...
>
>Oh, I forgot, the small company
>I work for, already change to Visual Studio .Net

Hmm, you don't see the point of .NET but yet your company switched to
it? I think it is the next generation of software development

--
Robert Love
Blog: peakxml.com

Re:My Delphi Roadmap

Which accounting systems do you support? I am interested mostly in Sage
and MYOB (Australian product)
Elite and CMS Open. Essentially SAP alternatives in the legal arena. Most
of my clients are in the 100-2000 user bracket.
They both have variations on VBA, and are easy to customize. I always find
it amusing when people jump up and down about the latest technology, when
these two systems are still running software written in Borland C++ (CMS
Open), and Visual Basic/Informix 4GL (Elite) and selling very well.
Oliver Townshend

Re:My Delphi Roadmap

Hello,
"Oliver Townshend" <oliveratzipdotcomdotau>writes
>Possibly more than a pipe dream since Office will soon host the CLR
>for scripting.

And clients will continue to run Office 97.

How true.
And BTW, OS will continue to be Windows 98...
Cheers, Roman

Re:My Delphi Roadmap

Bob writes:
>I think it is the next generation of software development

Yes, but skip forward 5 years to Sept 2005.
Yes, point taken looking at the future I also see with in the .NET
space I see future generational jumps with .NET 2.0, LINQ, and Indigo.
The speed at which new technologies are appearing for developers seems
faster than it ever has before.
--
Robert Love
Blog: peakxml.com

Re:My Delphi Roadmap

Robert Love writes:
The speed at which new technologies are appearing for developers seems
faster than it ever has before.
I wouldn't call them new so much as recombinant.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re:My Delphi Roadmap

On 27 Sep 2005 18:23:48 -0700, Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:
Which accounting systems do you support? I am interested mostly in Sage
and MYOB (Australian product)
Considering who we are talking about I think you would get support for
Great Plains or Navision. Navision is already highly programmable.
--

Marc Rohloff [TeamB] writes:
Considering who we are talking about I think you would get support for
Great Plains or Navision. Navision is already highly programmable.
Navision is programmable if you stick to C/SIDE (its internal
programming language), but integrating with it from the outside is a
bear. I am currently writing an InterBase / Navision replication system,
and I am unable to use the Navision ODBC driver, such as it is, or
their C API (C/FRONT) since both of these results in Navision ignoring
all of your C/SIDE code (Navision is essentially a fat client, and if
the client isn't involved then you don't get any of your
customizations, or helpful features like what passes for referential
integrity in their DB). The only useful way we've found to do anything
with the Navision DB which actually changes data is to use the Navision
"Application Server," essentially a UI-less client that can run as a
service. But it doesn't speak any standard interface (ADO or ODBC would
be great).
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
server: support.borland.com/entry.jspa

Re:My Delphi Roadmap

integrity in their DB). The only useful way we've found to do anything
with the Navision DB which actually changes data is to use the Navision
"Application Server," essentially a UI-less client that can run as a
service. But it doesn't speak any standard interface (ADO or ODBC would
be great).
What we've done for all our integration projects, is to write a Web Service
<->MSMQ "proxy" that integrates with NAS. All our client applications then
uses a standard Web Service interface to our proxy, which turns this into
XML and sends it via MSMQ to NAS. The result is then converted back to a WE
response.
Cheers,
Lars

Re:My Delphi Roadmap

Lars Black writes:
What we've done for all our integration projects, is to write a Web
Service <->MSMQ "proxy" that integrates with NAS. All our client
applications then uses a standard Web Service interface to our proxy,
which turns this into XML and sends it via MSMQ to NAS
That's more or less what we're doing, but we're using a third-party
product to do the XML/MSMQ instead of rolling our own.