What port needs to be open for firewall

2005-09-02 04:59:50 AM
delphi113
Hi All
We have a thick client database applications used by UK people but we would
like to let our US colleagues to use as well. However, the firewall is
stopping US users to see our servers, they cannot even ping the server. What
ports do we need to open so that our US colleagues can get through and use
the application.
It is urgent and appreciate any quick adivce.
Many thanks
Kev

Re:What port needs to be open for firewall

What database are you using?
What transport are you using (winsock, DCOM, etc.)?
Is this a DataSnap application?
Are you using a VPN or just connecting across the internet?
We need a much more detailed description of your environment before
anyone can help. Your message does not even tell us precisely what is
trying to connect to what?
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:What port needs to be open for firewall

Hi Bill
The app is a Delphi client interface connects to a SQL Server and we have another server storing some pdf files for the application. Users in the UK sites just need to install BDE using server's IP address on the servername field and install the client program and as long as they have rights to access the servers, it works. However, for US users, their pcs cannot ping to the servers so I guess they won't be able to connect to the database server and the pdf files server. Our security guy asked me which port I need to open for this and I don't know.
It is not a DataSnap application and I'd say we are trying to connect across the internet or WAN (if this makes sense). Not sure about transport.
Any advice.
Many thanks
Kev
"Bill Todd" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
What database are you using?

What transport are you using (winsock, DCOM, etc.)?

Is this a DataSnap application?

Are you using a VPN or just connecting across the internet?

We need a much more detailed description of your environment before
anyone can help. Your message does not even tell us precisely what is
trying to connect to what?

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:What port needs to be open for firewall

The port you need to have open is the port that the SQL Server client
uses to connect to the SQL Server service. If you are using the BDE SQL
Links driver then you are using Microsoft's old DBLIB client library
which has not been updated since SQL Server 6.5. I do not know what
port it uses.
Since your application is not multi-tier you will be much more likely
to get an answer if you post in the database.sqlservers newsgroup.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)