Re: How Many Delphi Users Did or Did Not Learn Pascal At University?

2004-10-21 11:26:44 PM
delphi200
(3) Did Not Learn Pascal
At School (i.e. University, College or other)?
I learned to program (including TP) before attending College. The
college did teach Pascal at the time though.
Sean

Sean Capstick writes:
I learned to program (including TP) before attending College. The
college did teach Pascal at the time though.
Great... I guess that is my real question: Was Pascal (or OBJECT PASCAL
or DELPHI!) a part of your tuition at any time.
--
Need to compare and synchronize SQL Server database schemas?
Try SQLMatcher: www.berryware.com/sqlmatcher/

Re: How Many Delphi Users Did or Did Not Learn Pascal At University?

(1) Did Learn Pascal - Non Borland
University of Waterloo, Ont, Canada... Pascal on a Mac! Made learning
Delphi 1 a lot easier a couple of years later. The Mac lab was donated by
Apple... there were about 30 machines networked using apple talk. We shared
an apple laser printer. Them were the days (late 80s) I wonder if apple
still donates equipment to university computer science programs (at least I
think they were donated... maybe the university bought them?). I have also
programmed in C++ quite a bit (Borland, DOS), I prefer Object Pascal's
simplicity, makes for cleaner code, less stupid bugs. Ana was another
language we did... now that was an interesting language... would have like
to do some real work in it... never happened.
Interesting Poll,
Paul

Re: How Many Delphi Users Did or Did Not Learn Pascal At University?

(1) Did Learn Pascal - Non Borland
On Honeywell mainframe. Early 80s
University of Kansas

Re: How Many Delphi Users Did or Did Not Learn Pascal At University?

"Kevin Berry" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
(3) Did Not Learn Pascal At School (i.e. University, College or
other)?
I learned TP3 at home. University taught some pascal (VM Pascal), but
not much new for me.
Regards
Uffe

Re: How Many Delphi Users Did or Did Not Learn Pascal At University?

"Kevin Berry" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
This was in a sub-thread of "Stray inquiry about newsgroup population".
However, some people may have missed it. And I think it is quite an
interesting poll. For those that did not respond to that sub-thread you
can add your "vote" here (or if you want to be counted twice go ahead...).

The question is in the subject, but I will repeat it again:

How Many People:
(1) Did Learn Pascal - Non Borland
(2) Did Learn Pascal - Turbo Pascal/Delphi
(3) Did Not Learn Pascal
At School (i.e. University, College or other)?
My first introduction to Pascal was in my first programming classes at UC
Irvine on a Terak machine (UCSD Pascal, 8" floppy) ca 1981.
Dan

Re: How Many Delphi Users Did or Did Not Learn Pascal At University?

(2) Did Learn Pascal - Turbo Pascal/Delphi
Learned Pascal from TP3,
in order to write PC/DOS programs.

Re: How Many Delphi Users Did or Did Not Learn Pascal At University?

The question is in the subject, but I will repeat it again:

How Many People:
(1) Did Learn Pascal - Non Borland
(2) Did Learn Pascal - Turbo Pascal/Delphi
(3) Did Not Learn Pascal
At School (i.e. University, College or other)?
(3) - I learnt using CP/M Pascal compiler at home on hobby computer, like, a
zillion years ago.
Rgds,
Martin

Re: How Many Delphi Users Did or Did Not Learn Pascal At University?

(1) Did Learn Pascal - Non Borland
UCSD Pascal on an Apple II in high school. Used TP at university though in
the only compsci class I had.
Brent S.

Re: How Many Delphi Users Did or Did Not Learn Pascal At University?

Learned Pascal (and many others) on VAX Mainframe in college.
Mark
"Kevin Berry" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
This was in a sub-thread of "Stray inquiry about newsgroup population".
However, some people may have missed it. And I think it is quite an
interesting poll. For those that did not respond to that sub-thread you
can add your "vote" here (or if you want to be counted twice go ahead...).

The question is in the subject, but I will repeat it again:

How Many People:
(1) Did Learn Pascal - Non Borland
(2) Did Learn Pascal - Turbo Pascal/Delphi
(3) Did Not Learn Pascal
At School (i.e. University, College or other)?

Thanks,
Kevin.

--
Need to compare and synchronize SQL Server database schemas?
Try SQLMatcher: www.berryware.com/sqlmatcher/

Re: How Many Delphi Users Did or Did Not Learn Pascal At University?

(1) Did Learn Pascal - Non Borland
(2) Did Learn Pascal - Turbo Pascal/Delphi
(3) Did Not Learn Pascal
At School (i.e. University, College or other)?
Surprising as this may sound, as late as 1999 they were still using Turbo
Pascal as the first language to teach students. They have now changed to
something else .. Java I think. Anyhow, in answer to your question: So, my
answer would be (2).

Re: How Many Delphi Users Did or Did Not Learn Pascal At University?

"Kevin Berry" wrote
How Many People:
(1) Did Learn Pascal - Non Borland
First Basic on the ZX81 (w/ 16K memory pack)
The QBasic on CP/M, then
JRT Pascal--buggy, but 29.95 whereas TP was 49.95
(2) Did Learn Pascal - Turbo Pascal/Delphi
As of v.2. Self-taught off the Borland material and Niklaus Wirth's
Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs.
(3) Did Not Learn Pascal
At School (i.e. University, College or other)?
Had been out of college for a few years before TP came out
bobD

Re: How Many Delphi Users Did or Did Not Learn Pascal At University?

"Kevin Berry" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
(2) Did Learn Pascal - Turbo Pascal/Delphi
Turbo Pascal 1 on a Sanyo 550.
--
Charles Appel
"A generation which ignores history has no past - and no future."

Re: How Many Delphi Users Did or Did Not Learn Pascal At University?

3

Re: How Many Delphi Users Did or Did Not Learn Pascal At University?

Charles Appel writes:
Turbo Pascal 1 on a Sanyo 550.
Wow. Never even heard of one of these... Sanyo 550. What processor was
it? Was this CP/M based?