Expiring messages...getting worse

2003-09-18 09:58:21 PM
delphi172
Just a quick check on oodesign and almost 50% of the messages that were
posted since yesterday showed up as expired. I am getting around 30% off
this newsgroup.
Whatever the problem is, the fixes seem to be making things worse...not
better.
John

Re:Expiring messages...getting worse

In borland.public.delphi.non-technical, John Elrick <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
writes <3f69b9fa$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>...
Whatever the problem is, the fixes seem to be making things worse...not
better.
It is depressing to see a major vendor of software tools unable to maintain
simple software like a news server.

Re:Expiring messages...getting worse

I think someone already said it is a bug in the newsserver software
itself. They didn't write it. Of course by now I might have put back
the previous version while waiting for a fix ;-)

--
Thomas Miller
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software

Re:Expiring messages...getting worse

In borland.public.delphi.non-technical, Thomas Miller
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>...
I think someone already said it is a bug in the newsserver software
itself. They didn't write it.
So? Maintaining versions and keeping backups is a function of software
development, so you'd think Borland would know enough to test, and reverse,
if necessary, any piece of software they use.

Re:Expiring messages...getting worse

In borland.public.delphi.non-technical, Mike Swaim <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
writes <3f69e6f7$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>...
"Captain Jake" <johnj[nospam]@comcast.net>writes
>It is depressing to see a major vendor of software tools unable to maintain
>simple software like a news server.

You're funny. Why do you think that most ISPs got out of the news server
business?
Are you in a roundabout way saying that news server software has been a real
pain for anybody to maintain and get working properly?
It seems to me that this is a problem that is easily solved, but has been
unduly complicated by business layering and shifting of liability.
"It isn't OUR server, so we can not fix it by ourself."
"Why did you outsource it then, if outsourcing it makes it impossible to fix?"
"It seemed like a good idea at the time, saving us the time and bother of
supporting it ourselves."

Captain Jake writes:
In borland.public.delphi.non-technical, John Elrick <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
writes <3f69b9fa$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>...

>Whatever the problem is, the fixes seem to be making things worse...not
>better.

It is depressing to see a major vendor of software tools unable to maintain
simple software like a news server.
How about newsreaders ? <G>
ROsimildo.

Re:Expiring messages...getting worse

In borland.public.delphi.non-technical, Rosimildo da Silva
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>...
>It is depressing to see a major vendor of software tools unable to maintain
>simple software like a news server.

How about newsreaders ? <G>
There ARE major vendors of software that maintain newsreader software.

Re:Expiring messages...getting worse

Don't know if we are missing any or those messages as well, but you should
be able to browse the groups on delphi.newswhat.com. Might help,
beside the fact the NNTP server has to be fixed..
- Marco Cantu (author Mastering Delphi 7)
delphi&dintorni
--- posted by geoForum on www.newswhat.com

Re:Expiring messages...getting worse

"Mike Swaim" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
You're funny. Why do you think that most ISPs got out of the news
server business?
Liability and bandwidth costs?
--
Iman
Well, it’s never “happily ever after?because “happily ever after?is you

Re:Expiring messages...getting worse

In borland.public.delphi.non-technical, "Craig Stuntz [TeamB]"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<3f69f382$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>...
>There ARE major vendors of software that maintain newsreader software.

Oh? Microsoft has announced they won't maintain Outlook Express
anymore, and it is debatable how much they "maintained" it in the past.
They apparently retracted that statement, but I don't have the URL handy.

Captain Jake writes:
In borland.public.delphi.non-technical, "Craig Stuntz [TeamB]"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<3f69f382$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>...
>>There ARE major vendors of software that maintain newsreader
software.>
>Oh? Microsoft has announced they won't maintain Outlook Express
>anymore, and it is debatable how much they "maintained" it in the
>past.

They apparently retracted that statement, but I don't have the URL
handy.
News to me. Vendor (singular), then....
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Editon users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

John Elrick writes:
Just a quick check on oodesign and almost 50% of the messages that were
posted since yesterday showed up as expired. I am getting around 30% off
this newsgroup.

Whatever the problem is, the fixes seem to be making things worse...not
better.
Do as I do: use your newsreader as an offline reader, i.e. download all
message bodies at once.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Programming is one of the most difficult branches of applied

Captain Jake writes:
In borland.public.delphi.non-technical, Thomas Miller
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>...
>I think someone already said it is a bug in the newsserver software
>itself. They didn't write it.

So? Maintaining versions and keeping backups is a function of software
development, so you'd think Borland would know enough to test, and
reverse, if necessary, any piece of software they use.
Nonsense. Borland, just like probably any other company, will not reverse
engineer and fix software that is not theirs, even if they use it.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"We don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents."

>So? Maintaining versions and keeping backups is a function of software
>development, so you'd think Borland would know enough to test, and
reverse,
>if necessary, any piece of software they use.

Doesn't the news server belong to someone else, though? If that is the
case, then Borland probably can not force them to go back to the old
version.
They own the hardware. But I am not sure this is a problem that was
introduced with a newer version.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"A husband is what is left of the lover after the nerve has been

Re:Expiring messages...getting worse

In borland.public.delphi.non-technical, "Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<xn0d3g2bx6wjdd013rudyspc@none-8cxr845nph>...
>So? Maintaining versions and keeping backups is a function of software
>development, so you'd think Borland would know enough to test, and
>reverse, if necessary, any piece of software they use.

Nonsense. Borland, just like probably any other company, will not reverse
engineer and fix software that is not theirs, even if they use it.
I didn't say they should reverse engineer anything. I said they should have
kept the old version, and tested the new one to make sure it was OK
before committing to it.