BDE on Vista Network

2008-05-03 01:27:07 AM
delphi148
Hi,
I'm attempting to get a Delphi 7 Pro application that uses the BDE (5.2.0.2)
to work in a Vista Environment. I have successfully installed on a
workstation, created aliases in the BDE and run the application.
I'm now trying to create aliases to shared data on the network (64-bit
version of Windows Server). There is a drive mapping (F: drive) that points
to a folder on the server that works fine in Windows Explorer, but is
invisible to the BDE administrator (I doesn't appear when I click the elipse
to change the Path on a "STANDARD" Database driver for local databases). On
an XP machine, the drive mappings show up after I open explorer and browse
the new drive mapping, but this isn't working on Vista.
On my own vista machine which has drive mappings to Windows XP Pro machines
the mapped drives don't show up in the BDE Administrator either, so I'm
guessing the problem isn't with the 64-bit server, but I am not sure.
Thanks in advance,
Gary

Re:BDE on Vista Network

What happens if you type the path instead of trying to browse to the
mapped drive?
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:BDE on Vista Network

Very Interesting. I was sure I had tried this and it hadn't worked, but I
tried it again after your suggestion. I confirmed that the drive letter was
available in
windows explorer, did not appear in the BDE drop down, but I could type the
path and save it in
the BDE Admin.
On the machine in my peer-to-peer network, I was able to access
a "database" (folder w/xBASE tables) on a Windows 2000 machine from the
Vista machine.
I thought this didn't work when the mapped drive was on a 64-bit windows
server, but I am making arrangements to retest this with the customer -
hopefully today.
Thanks for the idea - sorry it took a while to reply - when I got the
message I was away from my office, which has the Vista machine.
What happens if you type the path instead of trying to browse to the
mapped drive?

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:BDE on Vista Network

This a follow up from testing with a "real" file server in the mix - it is a
64-bit windows server being accessed from a laptop running Vista.
I was able to type the path into the BDE Admin and save the configuration.
When I attempted to login I got the message "Invalid File Name". This is
occurring the first time our application attempts to actually open a .DBF
file
during the start up process.
I tried entering the path in two ways:
1) Path X:\SymServe\Data (full path with drive
mapping)
2) Path \\eiscdc01\Data\SymServe\Data (full path without drive
mapping)
They both behaved the same way. I opened a CMD window and typed:
x:
cd \SymServe\Data
to confirm that I was typing the path correctly.
Thanks in advance again,
Gary Kammeraad
What happens if you type the path instead of trying to browse to the
mapped drive?

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:BDE on Vista Network

I have no other suggestions. Looks like you may have found a
combination of circumstances where the BDE no longer works. That is why
Borland/CodeGear has been warning users for the last eight years to
migrate to a data access layer that is being supported.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)