CHM help file - links not working

2006-06-16 04:22:28 PM
delphi146
Hi,
We've been using CHM files with our applications for many years. We've now
got one customer where the index page appears but none of the links work.
There are no error dialogs - it simply does not work. The system in
question is running XP / SP2.
If I open the precompiled html files - Internet Explorer complains that it
has restricted access to active controls but it all still functions
correctly. I was wondering if this might be an indication of the source of
the problem.
I have Googled around but found little other than the fact the chm file
properties might be set to blocked.
I have noticed that many other software producers have continued to migrate
their help to pdf format.
Comments would be gratefully received - to fix my problem and possible
benefits in moving away from chm format.
Many thanks,
Andrew

Re:CHM help file - links not working

Hi,
Check the path to the chm file. It should not contain any # characters.
Regards,
Alvaro.
"Andrew Jameson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>escribi?en el mensaje
[...]

please see:
support.microsoft.com/kb/896905/
or google on: EnableFrameNavigationInSafeMode
regards,
Rinse
"Andrew Jameson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schreef in bericht
[...]

I had a similar problem: after installing the .NET 2.0 SDK, the links in
the BDS help stopped working. After some searching I found an advice of
running IEFix (windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm). It solved the problem.
HTH

Re:CHM help file - links not working

Hi Andrew,
I had the same problem yesterday !
I re-registered (REGSVR32.exe) the following files and that solved the
problem for me.
%Windir%\Hh.exe
%Windir%\System32\Hhctrl.ocx
%Windir%\System32\Hhsetup.dll
%Windir%\System32\Itircl.dll
%Windir%\System32\Itss.dll
Succes,
Fred

Andrew Jameson writes:
We've been using CHM files with our applications for many years.
We've now got one customer where the index page appears but none of
the links work. There are no error dialogs - it simply does not work.
The system in question is running XP / SP2.
I have a somewhat similar situation - a .chm file works when installed
on the local computer, but not when installed on a network drive. Only
the index shows.
(Win2000)
I have no idea what's causing this problem.
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Re:CHM help file - links not working

works when installed
on the local computer, but not when installed on a network drive.
Caused by a security patch from Microsoft.
See:
www.helpandmanual.com/products_hhreg.html
for links and work possible work arounds.
/Johan

Re:CHM help file - links not working

Thanks ... looks like I am not alone and it also looks as though the fixes
are going to be difficult to implement for non-technical customers. Looks
like a time to move over to pdf !

Anders Isaksson writes:
Andrew Jameson writes:

I have a somewhat similar situation - a .chm file works when installed
on the local computer, but not when installed on a network drive. Only
the index shows.
(Win2000)

I have no idea what's causing this problem.

This is a result of a Microsoft security "fix". You can register help
files to be accessed over a network by using this free utility from the
good folks at help and Manual.
www.ec-software.com/products_hhreg.html
HTH
John

Re:CHM help file - links not working

Hi John and others that have made the same suggestion ... the chm help file
in question is not on a network drive ... so is this my problem ? and more
importantly what are the chances that this is the fix ? Long term it
doesn't look as though chm help is likely to survive this issue ?
Andrew
"John Furlong" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Re:CHM help file - links not working

I have a somewhat similar situation - a .chm file works when installed
on the local computer, but not when installed on a network drive. Only
the index shows.
(Win2000)

I have no idea what's causing this problem.
In later versions of windows, you must have explicit security permissions on
the networked drive's machine in order to access files on it from an
application. So what works locally will often fail when split across a
network, even if you can use Windows Explorer to see the files on the drive.
And the .chm thing is caused by MS locking down things to disable all
"active content" in html apps. You have to go deep into IE options to fix
that, and you will then be exposed to bad software and you will still get manual
security popups/messages. it is probably best to move away from HTML help of
all kinds.
Interestingly, Visual Studio creates XML and HTML help that is unusable due
to other security fixes. You have tomanually edit the files to take out
some stuff at the top, or it just won't display anything.
MS is definitely palying whack-a-mole...

Re:CHM help file - links not working

IIRC, XP flags the source of a file and uses that for the security test.
So if you download a CHM, you will find it is stopped. You can just right
-click on the file and select some option to allow it to work again. It
just stops viruses coming in without manual intervention.
/Matthew Jones/