Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

2004-12-11 07:13:02 AM
delphi128
Serge Goupinets writes:
Or you want to pay a higher price for their software?
I want Borland to ship on CD's
I was just commenting on the topic to what extent DVDs are common on
todsay's PCs.
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

On 12/10/04, Nick Hodges [TeamB] said:
Yes, but you are in the video business. ;-)
True, but I almost never use them for video. ;)
--
Bill
--------

Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

On 12/10/04, Nick Hodges [TeamB] said:
I see a lot of customers when I do training, and very, very few of
them have DVD's.
Seems silly, now that the price is so low. The two I have are both
burners, btw. What do these trainees use for backup?
--
Bill
--------

William Meyer writes:
On 12/10/04, Nick Hodges [TeamB] said:

>I see a lot of customers when I do training, and very, very few of
>them have DVD's.

Seems silly, now that the price is so low.
Silly or not, I has for a long time been plain impossible to buy PCs
with CD ROM drives here.
Apart from that, I support D2005 on CDs instead of DVDs
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

On 12/10/04, Serge Goupinets said:
There would not be a
problem if they shipped it both on CD and DVD by your choice but
unfortunately Borland's resources are quite limited... Or you want to
pay a higher price for their software?
The media is quite cheap, and so are the services of production. MSDN
ships on DVD (thank God!), and the notion that a Delphi developer
cannot afford a DVD ROM drive is a bit silly, don't you think?
--
Bill
--------

William Meyer writes:
The media is quite cheap, and so are the services of production. MSDN
ships on DVD (thank God!),
You can opt for CDs if I am not wrong.
and the notion that a Delphi developer cannot afford a DVD ROM drive
is a bit silly, don't you think?
If either or, CDs is the right choice.
--
Ingvar Nilsen

William Meyer writes:
Seems silly, now that the price is so low. The two I have are both
burners, btw.
Turnover on machines in corporate America is pretty slow. Most of the
folks here forget that.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
Turnover on machines in corporate America is pretty slow. Most of
the folks here forget that.

Not only there. Believe it or not, a large company over here ran Win
3.11 until 3 or 4 years ago. And with "large", I mean *large*.
--
Ingvar Nilsen

On 12/10/04, Ingvar Nilsen said:
You can opt for CDs if I am not wrong.
I believe so, but the last time I looked, there was a US$300 discount
for going with DVD -- or a surcharge for CD, depending on your point of
view.
--
Bill
--------

William Meyer writes:
On 12/10/04, Ingvar Nilsen said:

>You can opt for CDs if I am not wrong.

I believe so, but the last time I looked, there was a US$300 discount
for going with DVD -- or a surcharge for CD, depending on your point
of view.

That's only understandable. Was the same when Windows 95 shipped, the CD
version was cheaper than buying the 35 diskettes.
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
I wonder what percentage of machines have DVD
drives in them. I suspect that it is very low.
Two out of two here. --John H

Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

"William Meyer" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
On 12/10/04, Serge Goupinets said:
The media is quite cheap, and so are the services of production. MSDN
ships on DVD (thank God!), and the notion that a Delphi developer
cannot afford a DVD ROM drive is a bit silly, don't you think?

And why wold I spend money to get a DVD when
I could use it to get more RAM?
Just so I could load Delphi?
I don't think so!
I rememeber a couple of years ago getting
some piece of .NET or VS or something and
it only came on DVD. What a PITA.
Almost decided it wasn't worth it.
Do we really need another roadblock to
give people an excuse to not use Delphi?
--
Brad.
Vote for CodeRush in future versions of Delphi

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
Alan Garny writes:

>We have better storage technologies than a CD, so why not
>use it?

I wonder what percentage of machines have DVD drives in them. I
suspect that it is very low.
My last 3 PCs all have DVD drives, and the newest is almost 2 years
old. Even that one is barely up to spec for Delphi 2005 thank to RAM
requirements.
To echo Ingmar, it has been a long time (many years) sice CD drives
were widely available in the UK, and we are normally 6 months behind
USA (in my experience)
The problem with DVDs is that if I lay down my $3000 for Architect, and
get a flimsy package with a single disk, I may feel cheated no matter
how good the contents!! ;?)
[But yes, given the choice I'd prefer DVD to CD distribution, but
if Borland cannot support both, which is considerably more to QA, CD
remains the correct single choice]
AlisdairM(TeamB)

Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

"Alan Garny" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
The same cannot be said about my use of the Open Tools API. I basically need
to use the DesignIntf unit. That unit uses another unit: DesignerTypes, but
surprise, surprise... yes, it doesn't exist and this time, to comment it out
doesn't do the trick! :(
May be, you find the missing declaration in the D7-DesignIntf resp.
in the used units.
Achim

On 12/10/04, Brad White said:
And why wold I spend money to get a DVD when
I could use it to get more RAM?
Just so I could load Delphi?
I don't think so!
Bogus argument, with DVD drives starting at about US$16.00 on the
street.
Do we really need another roadblock to
give people an excuse to not use Delphi?
If that is a block to someone spending not less than US$399, then so be
it.
--
Bill
--------