Re: Borland Turbo Tools brought back

2006-08-08 11:53:29 AM
delphi14
Kevin B writes:
Don't they have something like NewEgg Down Under?! ;-)
Heh! I nearly made a comment saying that of course my argument was
totally discounted by the proliferation of eTailers (is that an actual
term, or should I be copyrighting it? :-)).
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re: Borland Turbo Tools brought back

Erick Sasse writes:
Nick, why the mistery if the website is already online?
Because people like to talk about mysterious subjects... the more
mysterious the more talk. Of course... this doesn't always lead to a
successful product in the market. Take Transmeta for example. There
was so much hype built up and then it didn't really amount to a whole
lot. I still liked the concept behind it though.
Let's hope DevCo milks the marketing hype "optimally." i.e. They better
also deliver good products *AND* market it right. I like hype if it is
done right...
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re: Borland Turbo Tools brought back

<<David Intersimone, vice president of developer relations and chief
evangelist at Borland, said the Turbo product set includes Turbo Delphi for
Win32,>>
Awesome.
-d

David Clegg writes:
Heh! I nearly made a comment saying that of course my argument was
totally discounted by the proliferation of eTailers
It's more fun if you leave that to others... :-)
(is that an actual term, or should I be copyrighting it? :-)).
I think it is taken (Google returns over 551000 results!!)
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re: Borland Turbo Tools brought back

"Phillip Woon" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Is it me, or are the colors the same ones as when they first came out with
Turbo C++ 1.0 ?

I don't know about Turbo C++ but certainly in the style of Turbo Pascal
5.0 - same portrait as well:
www.emsps.com/OLDTOOLS/borpasv.htm

Re: Borland Turbo Tools brought back

You're right, Turbo C++ had the red where the yellow is in Turbo Pascal 5.
>Is it me, or are the colors the same ones as when they first came out with
>Turbo C++ 1.0 ?

I don't know about Turbo C++ but certainly in the style of Turbo Pascal
5.0 - same portrait as well:

www.emsps.com/OLDTOOLS/borpasv.htm

--
Chris Burrows
CFB Software
www.cfbsoftware.com/gpcp

Re: Borland Turbo Tools brought back

David Clegg writes:
Not sure which one I would be more e{*word*277}d
about ;-)
That would be a tough call, I agree.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - DevCo

Re: Borland Turbo Tools brought back

q writes:
I wonder if Turbo Delphi for Win32 will still require the .NET
Framework. I wouldn't be surprised at all :)
Its bits of the IDE that want .net, so yes, Id be almost certain it
would.. Seeing as MS put out .net now as critical updates you'd be
lucky to get away from having it installed now
--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings

Re: Borland Turbo Tools brought back

Jolyon Smith writes:
In article <44d8045e$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...
>Jolyon Smith writes:
>
>>Nick, or anyone else from DevCo, care to confirm/deny?
>
>I can not confirm or deny anything right now.

I really hate being such an old cynic, but this isn't making sense.

The Delphi Product Manager cannot confirm/deny a Press Release
relating to the product of which he is The Manager!?!?!!
Perhaps it is to encourage people to listen in to the next Delphi hour.
--
Compact Framework for Delphi 2006: www.jed-software.com/cf.htm
QualityCentral Windows Client: www.jed-software.com/qc.htm

Re: Borland Turbo Tools brought back

The best news from DevCo this past few months :)
"John E. Wilfong" <j[nospam]wilfong@[reversethis]moc.loa>writes
This topic has been brought up briefly before in a few threads. Here's an
article dealing with an impending announcement.

See article:

www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2000205,00.asp

also,

www.turboexplorer.com (This one currently only states to stay tuned
for fun)

--
John

Re: Borland Turbo Tools brought back

Nick, or anyone else from DevCo, care to confirm/deny?

Check out Allen Bauer's blog
blogs.borland.com/abauer/archive/2006/08/07/26488.aspx
--
regards,
John

Re: Borland Turbo Tools brought back

My mouth is watering inspite of having BDS architect version
Venkatesh

Re: Borland Turbo Tools brought back

I've seen that - it also doesn't quite add up for me.
Check out the whois data for turboexplorer.com. That convinced me this
wasn't a windup. (Oh, and that fact that all of Nick's posts today seem
to be wrapped in a <smug>...</smug>tag.)
Overall, I think this is brilliant news! I am a bit concerned that the
limitations in the 'explorer' version will restrict the growth of a
grass-roots 'community' using those versions (no sharing components or
IDE plugins). However, I don't have any better idea how to handle it,
so...
- Roddy

Re: Borland Turbo Tools brought back

"John E. Wilfong"
writes:
This topic has been brought up briefly before in a few threads. Here's an
article dealing with an impending announcement.
Detailed feature matrix please... will you include Intraweb web app development?
What do you mean with: Included databases ?Borland?InterBase? MSDE (I think I might be more e{*word*277}d by this)
thx
TDaniel

Re: Borland Turbo Tools brought back

Great!
And now we have to support DevCo
and buy the Turbo products!
I'm ready (when available) to buy Turbo Delphi Win32 and .NET!
;-)