Re: Wondering about ECO support in Delphi 2006 PRO

2005-10-26 12:21:27 AM
delphi269
Problem solved.
Andrew

Re: Wondering about ECO support in Delphi 2006 PRO

Lauchlan M writes:
Anyway, I am sure there must have been another way they could limit it . . .
maybe by number of clients it could have or something.
Agreed.
Anyway #1, for me ECO is really the only thing that is exciting me about
.NET. But it would be mainly a learning exercise rather than any firm plans
Uhm... actually, given the informations I was able to get to the 24hrs
looks this way to me too, because it is uneasy to deploy the ECO
packages - unless you take the burden of checking the eventual Delphi
license one might posses, which includes up to checking that a buyer
doesn't have Delphi(and that is tough...).
to deploy using it, so it is not worth upping SKUs over. If it were ECO for
Win 32 it would be a different story! ;)
Definitely, it would be *way* easier to do things - even if it was ECO
for VCL.NET it would definitely ease things on the PRO side.
And for learning, I guess there's always the architect SKU trial, although I
don't think you can use it with third party components, so it will be all
'out of the box' stuff.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmh not sure about this one. I mean, if you have sources, just
recompile :-) If you don't... who told you to buy without sources? :-P
Anyway #2, I first have to learn to draw intelligent UML diagrams. I have
That comes with experience, I guess. Plus, it is mostly of having OO
design skills - which you should however have given you're
programming in Delphi :-P .
"UML in practice" and "UML2 for dummies" (although I think they'd need to be
relatively smart for dummies) but neither seems to be a good sunstitute for
sitting next to someone with UML experience as he or she works through an
example and then I work through an example and he/she gives me some
tips/pointers about the way I approached it.
Peter Morris did give his insights on the subject and he said he
learned by himself. Without meaning to take anything away from
Peter's skills, if he could tackle on his own, that is probably
doable for others too.
Maybe Borland might produce a BDN resource on this (using ECO/Bold), if they
haven't already? Tim Jarvis of Borland mentioned in his ECO III talk that
this is a large part of the learning curve for ECO, learning to think about
it the right way and develop good models for the business case.
IMHO, the most important aspect of this actually is making experience.
You can get it by first of all using Together(which will be bundled),
then using ECO for XML(which is limited, I know... but maybe you can
just expose the persistence mapper as a property, thus not limiting
your chances commercially).
Plus, the experience made for Together will be useful in other
enviroments too - read Java for example. This is a great advantage of
DeXter because you get all this, while you can keep programming the
same way you're used to meanwhile.
Doesn't sound too bad to me actually.
Regards,
Lauchlan M
Andrew

Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software] writes:
>- Persistence layer(multiple databases, database evolution)

Wouldn't be ECO without it.
I agree it wouldn't be very enterprise, but then again, this is the pro
version we are talking about here. The pro version will have Xml
persistence, not db persistence (and hence no multidb persistence or db
evolution).
>- Basic OCL

I'd guess that having a subset of OCL would mean having separate
DLLs. I wouldn't imagine it would be worth the effort.
right there, it will feature the full OCL implementation.
I know statemachines will only be in architect, and I think ASP stuff
will not be in pro (can't remember if it starts in ent or arch)
Disclaimer: I am off duty since mid july, so things might have changed
since the last time I was briefed.
/Jonas

Jonas Hogstrom [Borland] writes:
I agree it wouldn't be very enterprise, but then again, this is the pro
version we are talking about here. The pro version will have Xml
persistence, not db persistence (and hence no multidb persistence or db
evolution).
Uhm... I am reading this as: "you won't even see the base database
persistence class", like - you know - TECOCustomDBPersistence(or
whatever it is named).
Is this right?
/Jonas
Andrew