Code<T>

2006-11-16 06:39:55 AM
delphi271
the name CodeGear is kind of trendy. lets see we have...
CodeGear (www.codegear.com)
CodeLens (sourceforge.net/projects/codelens)
CodeRush (www.devexpress.com/Products/NET/IDETools/CodeRush/)
CodeHealer (www.socksoftware.com/codehealer.php)
CodeFactor (codefactor.home.att.net/)
..oh and lets not forget CodeWrench (codewrench.sourceforge.net/) :)
did i miss any?

Re:Code<T>

Charles McAllister schrieb:
the name CodeGear is kind of trendy. lets see we have...

CodeGear (www.codegear.com)
CodeLens (sourceforge.net/projects/codelens)
CodeRush (www.devexpress.com/Products/NET/IDETools/CodeRush/)
CodeHealer (www.socksoftware.com/codehealer.php)
CodeFactor (codefactor.home.att.net/)

..oh and lets not forget CodeWrench (codewrench.sourceforge.net/) :)

did i miss any?
I have to admit that the Name "CodeGear" sounds just like another 3rd
Party Component company.
A Friend of mine had a nice idea:
Let's use the Name "Borland" for DevCo/DTG and use a more appropriate
name for the Mother company. As it focusses on ALM, it should be an
enterprisey name, something that has a meaning, like "Integrating the
Enterprise". Interprise... no... let's call the ALM company... "INPRISE".
Ok, back to topic:
The Name CodeGear is very fitting - they are providing the Gear for
Code. But then again... "Good" Names are somewhat original and maybe
even Generic. Borland, Intel, Cisco,... Ok, on the other hand, Microsoft
or IBM are not very creative names, but at least they are around long
enough.
I'm eager to see the Corporate Identity/Branding that CodeGear will have
and i can not await CodeGear Development Studio 2007 :-)

Re:Code<T>

Charles McAllister writes:
did i miss any?
SourceGear (www.sourcegear.com)

Re:Code<T>

Michael Stum writes:
<snip>
The Name CodeGear is very fitting - they are providing the Gear for
Code. But then again... "Good" Names are somewhat original and maybe
even Generic. Borland, Intel, Cisco,... Ok, on the other hand, Microsoft
or IBM are not very creative names, but at least they are around long
enough.

i agree. could backfire though (think Wii)
given the positive response to the turbo branding, they could have used 'Turbo' in the name of the company, like "TurboTools", or maybe just "Turbo"
I'm eager to see the Corporate Identity/Branding that CodeGear will have
and i can not await CodeGear Development Studio 2007 :-)
i'd like to see it shortened to just "CodeGear Studio 2007".
would have the added subliminal advantage of CS2007 sounding like a computer science college course. :)

Re:Code<T>

Charles McAllister writes:
did i miss any?
CodeCentral
cc.borland.com
CodeSite (excellent product, BTW)
www.raize.com/DevTools/CodeSite/Default.asp
CodeProject
www.codeproject.com/
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re:Code<T>

How about TurboCode, or TurboGear? Interestingly enough,
the www site of those are both taken, and the splash screen
you get is identical. It says they are under construction. I wonder
if someone bought them hoping to sell to DevCo?
-- Larry Maturo
"Charles McAllister" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Michael Stum writes:
<snip>
>The Name CodeGear is very fitting - they are providing the Gear for Code.
>But then again... "Good" Names are somewhat original and maybe even
>Generic. Borland, Intel, Cisco,... Ok, on the other hand, Microsoft or
>IBM are not very creative names, but at least they are around long
>enough.

i agree. could backfire though (think Wii)

given the positive response to the turbo branding, they could have used
'Turbo' in the name of the company, like "TurboTools", or maybe just
"Turbo"

>I'm eager to see the Corporate Identity/Branding that CodeGear will have
>and i can not await CodeGear Development Studio 2007 :-)

i'd like to see it shortened to just "CodeGear Studio 2007".
would have the added subliminal advantage of CS2007 sounding like a
computer science college course. :)

Re:Code<T>

This is exactly the reason why I don't like the name - it is a
bit... cheap. And I do really hope, that they will stay RAD
focused and not Code focused. CodeGear is a good name for
library which adds some code beautifiers, templates and other
gadgets like that. What we really need is Super RAD. Delphi
is still superior to C# in that area (IMHO) with it is live
design-time, ease of adding component editors and things like
that.
Michael
Charles McAllister writes:
the name CodeGear is kind of trendy. lets see we have...

CodeGear (www.codegear.com)
CodeLens (sourceforge.net/projects/codelens)
CodeRush (www.devexpress.com/Products/NET/IDETools/CodeRush/)
CodeHealer (www.socksoftware.com/codehealer.php)
CodeFactor (codefactor.home.att.net/)

...oh and lets not forget CodeWrench
(codewrench.sourceforge.net/) :)

did i miss any?

Re:Code<T>

CodeGear (www.codegear.com)
CodeLens (sourceforge.net/projects/codelens)
CodeRush (www.devexpress.com/Products/NET/IDETools/CodeRush/)
CodeHealer (www.socksoftware.com/codehealer.php)
CodeFactor (codefactor.home.att.net/)
did i miss any?
CodeGear sounds much better than the rest.
John

Re:Code<T>

JohnE writes:
>CodeGear (www.codegear.com)
>CodeLens (sourceforge.net/projects/codelens)
>CodeRush (www.devexpress.com/Products/NET/IDETools/CodeRush/)
>CodeHealer (www.socksoftware.com/codehealer.php)
>CodeFactor (codefactor.home.att.net/)

>did i miss any?

CodeGear sounds much better than the rest.

John

yes. each of those sound like what they're for.
CodeGear is the most generic as it should be.

Re:Code<T>

Charles McAllister writes:
i'd like to see it shortened to just "CodeGear Studio 2007".
There's something oddly clashing with the name pair "Gear" and "Studio",
though.
"Studio" people have huge, empty, polished desks whereupon sits a smallish
notebook and wireless everything. A PHB and some QA guy glancing over the
developer's shoulder and smiling smugly, because a "Studio" is clearly a
place where nobody gets their hands dirty on something as mundane as...
coding. They're probably busy integrating all the ALM stuff and hoping that
runnable software will automagically arise after they've populated their
requirements database and possibly drawn some use-case diagrams.
"Gear" people have messy desks full of coffee-stained specs, pizza crumbs
making crunchy sounds under their keys, it is stuffy and the PHB won't stop
by unless absolutely necessary. Their preferred debugging tool is the CPU
window (even if that, it must be admitted, is a bit too fancy-pancy for
their taste). They view Delphi code as the pseudocode for the raw assembly
version they eventually intend to hand-code (using a hex editor, of course).
Okay, so most of us are somewhere in-between these extremes, but still I
think CG just can not call the next Delphi release "StudioGear". It'd be the
same hopeless sprawl that has held up the Borland IDE/RAD group for the past
6-7 years, and which I thought they would now finally get out of.
--
Kristofer

Re:Code<T>

This is exactly the reason why I don't like the name - it is a
bit... cheap.
Sounds to me like a t-shirt company that makes morse-code t-shirts. <g>

Re:Code<T>

Let's use the Name "Borland" for DevCo/DTG and use a more appropriate name
for the Mother company. As it focusses on ALM, it should be an enterprisey
name, something that has a meaning, like "Integrating the Enterprise".
Interprise... no... let's call the ALM company... "INPRISE".
I agree. That would have been way more logical
to me... I have always minda liked INPRISE ... Just felt
it was wrong for developers in comparison with Borland.
--
best regards
Thomas Schulz

Re:Code<T>

Hi Tom,
Or a company that makes hardware encoders for spies to code their
messages with.
-- Larry Maturo
"Tom" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

On Nov 16, 1:38 am, "Larry Maturo" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
How about TurboCode, or TurboGear? Interestingly enough,
the www site of those are both taken, and the splash screen
you get is identical. It says they are under construction. I wonder
if someone bought them hoping to sell to DevCo?
www.turbogears.org/ is alive and kicking :)

Re:Code<T>

"Michael Baytalsky" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

This is exactly the reason why I don't like the name - it is a
bit... cheap. And I do really hope, that they will stay RAD
Better than:
CodeGarage
www.codegarage.org/
---