Re: PRESS: CodeGear Q&A By Brendon Chase

2006-12-07 02:31:36 AM
delphi194
"Unlike some of our competitors, we recognise the need to continue
supporting Win32 developers, and in fact are continuing to extend both the
language (eg. Generics for Win32).."
I think this might be the first public confirmation of Generics for Win32.
I just hope it also means they updated the native VCL with a modern
collections framework based on generics. Its a given in todays languages
that collections are used extensively in code. I'd say maybe even as
high as 40% of most code.
The launch of Turbo is great to get newcomers to the language, but I think
the first thing they are going to start playing around with after the
"Hello World" is collections. And what they see today in Win32 VCL is
very lacking, especially if they come here after looking at .NET and Java.
How important are collections to other groups and companies:
This project was partially funded by Microsoft and people like Anders
Hejlsberg and other Microsoft product team members spent some time on the
Power Collections:
www.gotdotnet.com/content/featuredsite/powercollections/default.aspx
So, not only is the .NET framework have the basic neccessary collections,
they felt it even more important to go beyond that. So I hope we get this
very important and needed attention in Win32 in Highlander.
Of course, I have made my feelings on this point very public already:
groups.google.com/group/borland.public.delphi.non-technical/browse_frm/thread/6f87d36d72d3147c/24cd382336fec5fa

Re: PRESS: CodeGear Q&A By Brendon Chase

jeffc <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes <457700c5$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
I think this might be the first public confirmation of Generics for Win32.

I just hope it also means they updated the native VCL with a modern
collections framework based on generics.
Yes, this would definitely be a good move. Having the equivalent of the STL would be a very good thing.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 0.9.7.3045