Re: New features for Delphi

2006-08-26 01:18:23 AM
delphi254
Bryce K. Nielsen writes:

Which is something I hope they never introduce into Delphi.
I'll never put it on the list. ;-)
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - Borland DTG

Re: New features for Delphi

Bryce K. Nielsen writes:
>- Generics
>- Templates

Forgive my ignorance here, but aren't those the same things?
They overlap quite a bit, but not completely, and there are different
consquences of that. There's much comparison available on the net, but one
of the major differences is that templates are handled at compile time,
generics at runtime.
E.g. You create a template for TList and then declare one for integer, one
for strings, and one for doubles, at compile time you get three complete
implementations of TList defined and compiled. With generics, there is still
only the base TList actually defined at compile time. The typing happens at
runtime.
--
Wayne Niddery - Winwright, Inc (www.winwright.ca)
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go

Re: New features for Delphi

Rod writes:
What features exists in C++/C#/other languages but not in Delphi? What's
missing most?
More Graphics format support in the VCL components
e.g.
- PNG
- JPEG
- TIFF
- GIF
- ...

Re: New features for Delphi

Liz writes:
Interesting, all the people I know who tried both have sworm vm was a
better and faster product.
VMware is actually faster in our environment then developing on the
host. The VM is cleaner (less othe stuff installed) which translates
into faster and the hard drive access is faster.
Cheers
Dean

Re: New features for Delphi

J. Clarke writes:
Good food for thought. We do have VMWare onsite but it is painfully
slow. All the sites I have seen that had it seemed to run really slow
too.
Very strange. I use VMWare since some time, and it is really fast. Some %
slower in number crunching than the real thing, and definitely slower on hd,
but that does not count in most cases for a developer. Get a 7200 rpm hd,
and everything is fine. Oh, and add as much RAM as possible, and, of course,
install the VM Tools in the VM. that is a set of drivers and tools to make
life easier, directs installable by a menu item in VM.
Ralf

Re: New features for Delphi

Bryce K. Nielsen ha scritto:
Which is something I hope they never introduce into Delphi. One reason it's
such a great language is it is strictness that forces everyone to adhere to
(makes maintenance of other's code a *lot* easier).
I just ran into this while refactoring a C# console application.
Separing variables spread into the source code can drive you crazy!
This work is much easier if the language forces the coder to group
variable declarations; and if the number of variables grows up, so you
know it is better to split or startup a new method, keeping a good
"granularity".
Sure, going to *var* and back is boring, but "Var Insight" of BDS /
Turbo Delphi can help a lot! ;-)
I hope they never introduce inline variables, too! :-)
--
MARCO BREVEGLIERI
(www.marco.breveglieri.name)

Re: New features for Delphi

Abraham writes:
How is the speed performance?
Last I tried VPC it ran painfully slow (ok it was long time ago),
even moving the cursor on the screen.
NQN ->Not quite native/Not quite noticable.
But also not so large a hit that it is directly noticable either. You
really have to do something intensive before it becomes noticable in
comparison, like start delphi, and then you really have to have them
side by side before you notice the difference.
Of course, I have a nice 3ghz processor behind me with 2gb of ram and
I've dedicated 512mb to the VM. VPC is nice about this as it
physically allocates that ram to the VPC, VMWare uses a different
floating system which can get you into a lot of trouble if you run more
than 1 VM (ie: out of ram before you are out of ram, so to speak)
System performance can be further enhanced by creating static swap
files.
Like I say tho, I can run it off a USB 2.0 drive and the speed hit
isn't too bad unless you start to seriously thrash a drive. IE: I
would not recommend trying to defrag the virtual HD while it was on a
USB interface. Compiling, however, is fine.
Since VPC is free, you might want to give it another try.
www.microsoft.com/virtualpc
I believe VMWare is headed in that direction, so you could check them.
I don't personally use VMWare as I find their virtual network drivers
have damaged the performance of the host's networking on every machine
I have installed it on (ie: 15+ seconds just to connect to a share on
the host from an outside computer) - your experience may vary, so pick
the solution that works best for you.

Re: New features for Delphi

Liz writes:
Interesting, all the people I know who tried both have sworm vm was a
better and faster product.
My experience has been that VMWare clobbers the host machine's network
performance. it is been a while, but if I recall, the VM's performance
was about on par, however.
VMWare does have one other advantage ->USB virtualization.

Re: New features for Delphi

Rod writes:
- PNG
- JPEG
- TIFF
- GIF
- ...
you might as well ask that they update the JPG and zlib engines to
recent versions as well...

Re: New features for Delphi

I don't agree in var declaration anywhere, but:
procedure foo;
var
Sample:String='Hello!';
begin...
like happend with const

Re: New features for Delphi

Clinton R. Johnson writes:
My experience has been that VMWare clobbers the host machine's network
performance. it is been a while, but if I recall, the VM's performance
was about on par, however.
I think it depends on what the guests doing, if you're guests
downloading then yes, the hosts not able to make full use of the
network because a chunk is already use by the guest.
--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings

Re: New features for Delphi

mamcx writes:
I don't agree in var declaration anywhere, but [...]
Yes, that is a good idea, not so hard to build into the compiler (I
think) and harmless for existing code compatibility. :-)
--
MARCO BREVEGLIERI
(www.marco.breveglieri.name)

Re: New features for Delphi

Brad White writes:
What's a closure?
I, too, didn't know. This helped me:
www.martinfowler.com/bliki/Closure.html
Mirco

Re: New features for Delphi

Rod writes:
What features exists in C++/C#/other languages but not in Delphi? What's missing most?
Get Paradox back from Corel and make the magical pair with Delphi.
I know both a lot and think that selling Paradox to Corel was one of the worst idea
that came across Borland's mind. Just think how Delphi/Paradox could have been better
then Visual Basic/Access. Same technology, strong sinergy, different targets, with
a HUGE customer base in between that productively use BOTH.
Do that and the small but strong and dedicated Paradox customer base would cry miracle
and be willing to pay for it.
Well, me, at least.... :)
Mirco

Re: New features for Delphi

I disagree. There are plenty of open-source databases around (Firebird,
MySQL, PostgreSQL for client/server; SQLite and FlashFiler for the
desktop). Every Windows computer also comes with the JET engine.
In my view, one of Delphi's strengths is the way it can interact with a
variety of databases; tying it too closely to one, like Paradox, would
make Delphi less attractive, not more.
Paradox is a good desktop database, but no better than many other
solutions out there.
Graham