Re: why is CodeGear/Borland not selling old versions?

2006-11-25 02:22:06 AM
delphi42
Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
That would be a horrible limitation, so I am convinced that whomever
wrote that web entry *was in error*.
Absolutely. But, do you have a way of getting some clarification on
this apparent "misinformation" - from the horse's mouth?
- Roddy
--

Roddy Pratt writes:

Absolutely. But, do you have a way of getting some clarification on
this apparent "misinformation" - from the horse's mouth?
Already quoted it - from the actual licenses. that is all that matters if it
were to come down to a legal case.
--
Wayne Niddery - Winwright, Inc (www.winwright.ca)
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million

Re: why is CodeGear/Borland not selling old versions?

Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
Both are identical in meaning and effect - all upgrades constitute a single
product license, meaning you cannot transfer or sell individual versions,
any transfer must include all upgraded - from and to - versions; but clearly
indicates that you are allowed and expected to remain in possession of all
versions and are allowed to use them.
How can you then, having one license only, develop in 2 different
versions of delphi?
Therefore, the limitation you quote above is in contradiction to the license
text, so I will continue to act according to the license text (which
includes both what it says explcitly, as well as what it *doesn't prohibit
explicitly*) and suggest everyone can do so as well. The quoted limitation
would basically mean no one is allowed to take advantage of upgrade pricing
if they have any project that need to be maintained in a previous version;,
you would be required by law to immediately upgrade every project to the new
version before you could do any further work to that project. That would be
a horrible limitation, so I am convinced that whomever wrote that web entry
*was in error*.
But there is a solution! Always buy a full version, not an upgrade :-)
L.

Luke writes:

How can you then, having one license only, develop in 2 different
versions of delphi?
There is no inherent limit in a license that it can only cover a single copy
or a single version of a product. The text of the license clearly states
that you still only have one license but that license applies to both the
upgraded version, and the eligible version upgraded from. What it means is
that you cannot treat the different versions covered by the upgrade license
as *separate* licensed products - i.e. if you choose to terminate your
license or transfer it (with CodeGear permission) to someone else, you must
transfer, or cease using, *all* versions of Delphi covered by that license,
not just one or some of the versions. Your single license to use the product
applies to all versions in the upgrade chain.
If they really intended for you not to be use the older version(s) any
longer, they would require you to return or destroy all copies of it in your
possession.
--
Wayne Niddery - Winwright, Inc (www.winwright.ca)
"In a tornado, even turkeys can fly." - unknown

Re: why is CodeGear/Borland not selling old versions?

>I agree that for new projects that is the way to go. But how many of us
>have "alive" projects started years ago based on technologies no longer
>supported, e.g. BDE ?
Thomas Schulz writes:
I think many still have legazy BDE/paradox projects.
Indeed. For the record, SQL Links has been deprecated for years, but the
BDE for local Paradox and dBASE tables still ships with the latest
versions of Delphi, and is still "supported for the forseeable future."
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Wayne Nidderly writes:
[...]

I'm with you, Wayne, and I am hoping that we can get confirmation from
CodeGear staff. I am also hoping they can correct whoever wrote that
"Borland Answer" and the Argentina staff.
There are many reasons for maintaining a project in the same version of
Delphi it was written in. That should not be made impossible under the
upgrade license.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re: why is CodeGear/Borland not selling old versions?

Luke writes:
Or you could upgrade to BDS2006 for almost the same price ($400 vs.
$460).
Visit shop.borland.com, there is some special going on and you will get
some additional tools + free training coupon.

Unfortunately I don't live in the US, so I am not sure if the same upgrades
are available. However, if the price is similar for Turbo and an upgrade
from my old Delphi to BDS here, then I would obviously be silly not to go for
the full BDS.