Re: Revenue from IDE products, 300 Borlanders are loosing jobs butmanagementhasfree Golf

2006-05-06 12:11:27 AM
delphi279
OBones writes:
Could that mean using po files, like most applications proceed?
I don't believe "most applications" use po files, if that is what you
mean. PO files seem to be linux centric. For Delphi/C++Builder, it
would be resource dlls and the form files, for .NET it would be
resource files, for Java it would be properties files ...
This,
or a similar approach, would allow users to create the translations
themselves which could be a real boost to localization of Delphi.
I'm working with our internationalization folks on a global (double
entendre intended) solution for our products, which would be available
right inside our IDEs. Hopefully we'll have the hosted prototype
available before the end of this year, depending on how tasks get
prioritized after the "DevCo" divestiture.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
OBones writes:

>Could that mean using po files, like most applications proceed?

I don't believe "most applications" use po files, if that is what you
mean. PO files seem to be linux centric. For Delphi/C++Builder, it
would be resource dlls and the form files, for .NET it would be
resource files, for Java it would be properties files ...
Well, by "most", I mean most open source applications, and some closed
source ones as well. As to Delphi support, there is DxGettext from Lars
Dybdhal, a very good package that many have been using with great
returns from their users. The approach you mention looks to me like
there would be a different way to do localization for each sub product
of the IDE. That sounds a bit over complicated, but I don't have all the
information to fully assess the situation.
I'm working with our internationalization folks on a global (double
entendre intended) solution for our products, which would be available
right inside our IDEs. Hopefully we'll have the hosted prototype
available before the end of this year, depending on how tasks get
prioritized after the "DevCo" divestiture.
Ok, I will see this then, if I am allowed to have a look at it.
--
Olivier Sannier
JVCL Coordinator