Call for Advanced TThread Implementations

2007-08-09 05:04:26 PM
delphi251
While I am working on my "interfaced threads architecture", I might as well
look at advanced TThread implementations.
Whose got one? Better than out-of-the-box TThread? Whose got one that
deals with multiple cores?
-d

Re:Call for Advanced TThread Implementations

Dennis Landi writes:
While I am working on my "interfaced threads architecture", I might as well
look at advanced TThread implementations.

Whose got one? Better than out-of-the-box TThread? Whose got one that
deals with multiple cores?

-d

Hi Dennis,
Not TThread but this is probably worth a look if you haven't seen it
already. Intels thread library now GPL'd
www.threadingbuildingblocks.org/ I am having a quick peruse and so
far it seems very niceley written and commented.
have fun,
Dave

Re:Call for Advanced TThread Implementations

Whose got one? Better than out-of-the-box TThread? Whose got one that
deals with multiple cores?
I think the Indy guys have something (TIdThread or some such).
AndrewFG

Re:Call for Advanced TThread Implementations

"David Ninnes" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Dennis Landi writes:
>While I am working on my "interfaced threads architecture", I might as
>well look at advanced TThread implementations.
>
>Whose got one? Better than out-of-the-box TThread? Whose got one that
>deals with multiple cores?
>
>-d
Hi Dennis,
Not TThread but this is probably worth a look if you haven't seen it
already. Intels thread library now GPL'd
www.threadingbuildingblocks.org/ I am having a quick peruse and so
far it seems very niceley written and commented.
Fantastic, thanks.
There's a book out on the library:
shop.intel.com/shop/product.asp
-d

Re:Call for Advanced TThread Implementations

I wish have something like erlang... That is truly amazing.

Re:Call for Advanced TThread Implementations

There's a book out on the library:
I got my copy last week, actually I was thinking of porting the library to
delphi.
DD

Re:Call for Advanced TThread Implementations

"Dan Downs" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>There's a book out on the library:

I got my copy last week, actually I was thinking of porting the library to
delphi.
And? Want to share? I will order my copy asap.

Dennis Landi writes:
Whose got one that deals with multiple cores?
Sounds to me like you're looking for a thread pool rather than a
thread. TThread works find on multiple cores, but to really run with
that you need to pool intelligently.
Borland newsgroup denizen Sergio González has a new CD of
Irish music out, and it is good: tinyurl.com/7hgfr

Re:Call for Advanced TThread Implementations

And? Want to share? I will order my copy asap.
I was thinking of making it a FastCode project, I put a post there to see if
others are interested. I haven't started yet, probably next week though.
DD

Re:Call for Advanced TThread Implementations

Hello,
i've not looked at that Intel library. But what benefits
has it over TThread?
If it became a fastcode project chances are that it may be included with
one of the next Delphi versions.
Greetings
Markus

Re:Call for Advanced TThread Implementations

i've not looked at that Intel library. But what benefits
has it over TThread?
Its about smart and safe thread management not really a replacement for
TThread but a whole threading framework.
From the back cover of the book which covers:
- key issues in writing parallel programs
- common patterns in multithreading
- thread-safe containers for efficient processing
- task scheduling
So the framework is much more in depth and handles the hard stuff of working
with threads. Its easy to dump some little task into a thread, but its hard
to get threads working/talking together across multiple layers and be
efficient depending on how many cpu cores you have. I have got a lot more
looking to do, but its got my attention.
If it became a fastcode project chances are that it may be included with
one of the next Delphi versions.
:)
DD

Re:Call for Advanced TThread Implementations

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, Dennis Landi says...
While I am working on my "interfaced threads architecture", I might as well
look at advanced TThread implementations.

Whose got one? Better than out-of-the-box TThread? Whose got one that
deals with multiple cores?
I have a couple, my most useful being not a "more advanced" TThread, but
a simpler one.
i.e. for "fire and forget" type worker threads that don't need all the
housekeeping facilities that even the most basic TThread provides.
(I call them "drones" - for they have the same life: they do their work
and then they die and no-one notices nor cares)
The main reason for my alternate implementations was to leverage my own
Win32 multicast event implementation, so that, e.g. when a thread
terminates more than ONE interested party can hear about it.
--
JS
TWorld.Create.Free;

mamcx writes:
I wish have something like erlang... That is truly amazing.
Indeed. I think the best we can hope for is a good framework
implementation of the "Actor" model.
It could be nice to try an "outside-in" Scala with some specific
language constructs for Delphi. But we'll see what they come up with.
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

>>There's a book out on the library:
>I got my copy last week, actually I was thinking of porting the library to
>delphi.

And? Want to share? I will order my copy asap.

-d

+1

Re:Call for Advanced TThread Implementations

Hi,
Dennis Landi writes:
While I am working on my "interfaced threads architecture", I might as well
look at advanced TThread implementations.
Whose got one? Better than out-of-the-box TThread? Whose got one that
deals with multiple cores?
I am afraid I haven't got anything fancy, but here goes:
cc.codegear.com/Item/24511
u_dzNamedThread: If this unit is included in a multithreaded program, it
will set the name for the main thread to 'Main'. Also declares a
TNamedThread type that uses its class name for the thread name and a
SetThreadName procedure.
MfG
twm