What do you think of the bonus software pack?

2006-09-26 08:27:46 AM
delphi180
I have just gotten around to downloading and installing the bonus tools
offered with BDS4.
When I saw Castalia I new I wanted to give it a go after hearing about
it on the Delphi Hour a few weeks back. The modeless inline variable
declaration caught my ear because the inbuilt BDS one didn't really
e{*word*277} me; I generally found it preferable to just go and declare it
myself. The castalia way seemed a big improvement.
Unfortunatly, this one enhancement doesn't seem to be available. After
e{*word*277}dly typing: var s : String <space>a few times, I go back to the
help and check the castalia options to see that code templates is not
there.
Fortunatly, to make up for this omission I have fallen deeply in love
with the Navigation Toolbar.
I didn't hear much about this tool offer here, and I was wondering if
people
a) didn't get them
b) already had them
c) didn't like them
d) Other?
--
Robin.

Re:What do you think of the bonus software pack?

Robin writes:
I have just gotten around to downloading and installing the bonus
tools offered with BDS4.
Lesse, 4 cripple ware apps. It didn't impress me with D3, it doesn't
impress me now. It also doesn't make me want to buy the product to get
the "free" crippleware tools.
If I wanted them, I'd pay for the full versions.
It did inspire me to check out Castalia (I checked and have no interest
in the rest) and install the full trial.
Interest in Castalia itself died quickly when I saw how well it worked.
Aside from repeated crashes, failure to follow provided configuration,
slow performance when you turn it on full, unclear benefits when you
turn it on a little and flickering, annoying rendering, it was an
interesting concept.
Frankly, the cost/return equation just wasn't there for me. Not even
for a free version.
Which reminds me, I should uninstall it from D2K5, which I almost never
start because Delphi 7 is still a superiour experience in every damn way. (in
fact, the only reason I started it recently was to test how castalia
worked with it to get an idea what D2K6 might be like with it...)
Now maybe if it could at least render without all that horrible
flicker, and actually follow the config settings when I change them,
then maybe...
Mind you, if you aren't compulsive about aligning your begin/end
repeat/until etc pairs like I already am, the value might increase (I
have seen some HORRIBLE code that just wanders like a spider on acid,
inevitably needs run through a beautifier before it can be read)

Clinton R. Johnson writes:
Frankly, the cost/return equation just wasn't there for me. Not even
for a free version.
Wow. Now there is a statement.
Now maybe if it could at least render without all that horrible
flicker, and actually follow the config settings when I change them,
then maybe...
Do you mean the Delphi 2005 IDE flicker or flicker caused by Castalia?
--
Robin.

Re:What do you think of the bonus software pack?

It did inspire me to check out Castalia (I checked and have no interest
in the rest) and install the full trial.

Interest in Castalia itself died quickly when I saw how well it worked.
Aside from repeated crashes, failure to follow provided configuration,
slow performance when you turn it on full, unclear benefits when you
turn it on a little and flickering, annoying rendering, it was an
interesting concept.

Frankly, the cost/return equation just wasn't there for me. Not even
for a free version.

I am with you exactly. I had heard such good things about Castalia but
in D2006 it was too slow and the flickering too annoying to be usable. I
unintalled all the free tools within an hour of installing them.

Re:What do you think of the bonus software pack?

I confess to being stunned by your assessment, even considering it's
coming from you.
First, none of the bundle is "crippleware". All are fully functioning
applications. They aren't crippled in any way.
Second, to argue that the /free/ BeyondCompare tool isn't worth it is,
well, sorry, completely ridiculous. Using it instead of the built in
compare tool is a vastly better experience. Have you ever used
BeyondCompare? it is easily the best compare tool on the market.
You didn't mention CodeHealer, so I imagine you aren't aware of it's
powerful code analysis.
As for Castalia, I am aware that very, very few things in this world
seem to make you happy, so I it comes as no surprise that the superior
search metaphor, the code navigation tools, and the nice begin..end
blocks didn't impress /you/. They impress /me/, though, and I'd
encourage others to give them a try.
I felt compelled to respond because your assessment is, as usual,
overwhelmingly negative, and I think it is not a fair one.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - Borland DTG

Clinton R. Johnson writes:
Interest in Castalia itself died quickly when I saw how well it
worked. Aside from repeated crashes, failure to follow provided
configuration, slow performance when you turn it on full, unclear
benefits when you turn it on a little and flickering, annoying
rendering, it was an interesting concept.
Ive been using Castalia for over a year now and I cant think of a time
it crashed.
Now maybe if it could at least render without all that horrible
flicker, and actually follow the config settings when I change them,
then maybe...
I also cant think of it flickering, at what point were you seeing that?
Did you ever take these issues up with the guy who wrote it?
--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings

Re:What do you think of the bonus software pack?

Hi,
I was very attracted to play with them, but the only problem I see is that
it is very possible that they won't be included in BDS 2007 and I will have
to buy them.
I guess that it is what happened with Modelmaker when it was included with
Delphi 7 although at least you can work with it for the new versions.
Regards,
Jose Maria Sanmartin
"Robin" <Robin@.com>escribi?en el mensaje
[...]

Hello Nick,
Well, will you consider preparing a video demo explaining the power of
CodeHealer and BeyondCompare?
Kindest regards
? "Nick Hodges (Borland/DTG)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>?????? ??? ??????

Clinton R. Johnson writes:
Mind you, if you aren't compulsive about aligning your begin/end
repeat/until etc pairs like I already am, the value might increase (I
have seen some HORRIBLE code that just wanders like a spider on acid,
inevitably needs run through a beautifier before it can be read)
Sorry for being that offtopic, but I heard that spiders on acid produce
beautiful and extremely symmetrical webs...
googling for some images ->www.{*word*85}.net/weblife.html
--

Peter S. writes:
Well, will you consider preparing a video demo explaining the power of
CodeHealer and BeyondCompare?
Yep -- it is on the list. I agree that such a thing is needed.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - Borland DTG
blogs.borland.com/nickhodges

Re:What do you think of the bonus software pack?

Nick, I have got a question on Castalia (I've written to TwoDesk directly but
they don't reply).
Quite a few of the features in Castalia have been introduced into Delphi
2006 by you guys already; for instance, syntax checking, parenthesis
matching, refactoring, code templates, and so on.
What happens when both Castalia and your own code try to do the same thing -
the most obvious perhaps being parenthesis matching? Does it cause
problems? Is there some sort of clash? Do you get unexpected results?
Incidentally, I know what people mean by the flickering. The blue
'structural highlighting' bars do flicker - you can actually watch it
happening on one of their own animations:
www.twodesk.com/castalia/code_templates.html
Even so, I can live with it and I like what Castalia offers.
Thack

Re:What do you think of the bonus software pack?

As for Castalia, I am aware that very, very few things in this world
seem to make you happy, so I it comes as no surprise that the superior
search metaphor, the code navigation tools, and the nice begin..end
blocks didn't impress /you/. They impress /me/, though, and I'd
encourage others to give them a try.
I would really like to see this block highlighting as a standard feature of
Delphi, without the performance overhead of a thirdparty solution. As a
compromised solution, you could just add the option to set the color of all
the block highlighting elements (begin, end, try, finally, except, case,
repeat, until, ???). Should take all of five minuts to implement :) It's
QC'ed at 11109

Nick Hodges (Borland/DTG) writes:
I confess to being stunned by your assessment, even considering it's
coming from you.
<snip>
I felt compelled to respond because your assessment is, as usual,
overwhelmingly negative, and I think it is not a fair one.
It is the HONEST opinion of a customer who has used Delphi since it was
Turbo Pascal.
Do you really think it wise to only listen to what you want to hear?

Liz writes:
Ive been using Castalia for over a year now and I cant think of a time
it crashed.
Maybe it is a glitch inherent to D2k5 and the trial version. It
excepted out on me a few times.
I also cant think of it flickering, at what point were you seeing
that?
Every time the lines for the code blocks draw, the entire editor
flickers. If you only have the lines for the code block come on
occasionally, it is less annoying, but equally less valuable (if you
only show the current block, chances are good that you can already see
the begin/end on the screen without the lines)
Did you ever take these issues up with the guy who wrote it?
Frankly no. Things like the flicker and slow performance are problems
inherent to the task. He can not get deep enough into the paint routine,
and he can not parse the code quickly enough. I do not doubt that he
already knows about those and has accepted them. Other bugs are either
very rare or very common. One is hardly worth wasting my time trying
to get fixed for software I am evaluating for purchase, the other is a
reason to avoid purchasing entirely.
Let me be blunt, I installed the trial version to decide if I wanted to
invest money in the product - what I experienced said no. Why would I
waste time with a product I have decided I don't want to pay for?
Assuming that the bugs such as the configuration settings that never
took, the configuration settings that randomly took and the occasional
random exception out of the design time package itself, I still
wouldn't want to buy it because of the flickering.
Now, assuming that he could parse the code lightning fast so that all
the code blocks could be outlined without any noticeable delay and all
the flickering was eliminated, then yes, I might be interested.
Clearly,however, he can not parse the whole code fast enough(*) and
unless DTG is going to REALLY expose the editor control finally and
completely, both these problems will remain and so will my personal
opinion over the cost/return balance for me.
Now, if you suddenly start noticing the flicker, don't blame me.
Things we ignore tend to become more obvious and unavoidable once they
are pointed out, like the shadow from the wire in trinitron tubes (they
drive me nuts, I just can not ignore them!)
(*) It might be possible to increase code parsing with an fairly
sophisticated routine that only did partial reparses based on the
latest buffer changes instead of reparsing everything, but there the
cost/return balance might not be there for the developer since people
are willing to pay for it as it currently is.
Now, you might not share my opinion, but don't act like Nick and decide
that it has no value just because it differs from yours. I will do my
best to respect your right to have a different opinion if you try to do
the same.
After all, if people only wanted to hear how great something was, they
could just assume that was what they heard and avoid the whole process
and possibility of getting a differing opinion.

Andreas Dorn writes:
Sorry for being that offtopic, but I heard that spiders on acid
produce beautiful and extremely symmetrical webs...
When I took psych, the pictures they had for spiders on acid(lsd)
showed complete lack of control with no pattern.
Of course, any time you add research and {*word*110} you either get a
scientist playing Timothy O'Leary or Nancy Regan, depending on their
political point of view, so who really knows?
I mean who decides to put spiders on acid anyways? And how the heck do
you get paying job like that?