Re: CrossKylix discontinued

2007-10-03 09:38:01 AM
delphi246
"Peter Morris" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>What is so exceptional about the goal of supporting the Linux platform?

Where did I say anything was exceptional? I just said that they don't
share the same goals.

My point is that the x-platform goal should not be a difficult one to share.
And, not having such a goal at all (and not sharing it with your customer
base publically) is W E I R D.
-d

James David writes:
"Leonardo M. Ram? writes:

>It's funny to see CodeGear making IDE's for some Open Source projects
>like PHP and Ruby and doesn't hearing the ever growing community of
>FreePascal.

It is indeed surprising that Borland/Codegear has completely abandoned
or ignored any type or size of effort to put pascal on *nix. Oh well,
they must know their business better than I do :-)

I also feel CG should reconsider their stance with the *nix
community. Borland's attempt was laudible at best; but they
just didn't put their best feet forward. I believe the
initial version left a very bad taste in those who bought
it.
However, with the current IDEs so much tied to the .NET
platform, it would take a miracle for CG to either decouple
the dependency and/or change the platform such that it
works both under Windows and *nix.
The obstacles are definitely there (in terms of platform
support, (db) driver support, etc). Will CG bother?
Edmund

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
Marius writes:

>But to get back ontopic, out of curiosity, what do you think was such
>a major enhancement in 2007.win32?

Over what product...?

I would assume previous products, but then again, that wouldn't be
considered 'on topic' since CrossKylix and 2007.win32 are different
products. Yes. Brilliant art of stating the obvious. Thank you. :)
Edmund

Re: CrossKylix discontinued

Marius writes:
good old delphi7
I don't have 2007, but between Delphi 7 and BDS2006, I'd say the
enhancements are pretty good, though the only one I
use daily is the code folding. Code refactoring? I haven't
figured that out yet.
The bad thing is... the help.
Edmund

Ed writes:
Marius writes:
>good old delphi7

I don't have 2007, but between Delphi 7 and BDS2006, I'd say the
enhancements are pretty good, though the only one I use daily is the
code folding. Code refactoring? I haven't figured that out yet.

The bad thing is... the help.

Edmund
Refactoring at the basic level is the editing of code with a tool
that understands it is structure and syntax.
The easiest one to understand is renaming. A project has
lots of controls with default numbered names. With refactoring
you can give them meaningful names with a lot less work
compared to normal text editing with things like search
and replace. Pick someplace where say Button45 is referenced,
right click and select Refactoring, Rename field "Button45".
Enter a better name like ButtonNewInvoice and click OK.
You now get a list of changes it will make, apply them
all and the control in question has been intelligently
renamed throughout. So you now have (taken from random lines):
ButtonNewInvoice: TButton;
procedure ButtonNewInvoiceClick(Sender: TObject);
ButtonNewInvoice.Enabled := false;
The other refactoring options are more specialized but not
too complex once you figure out what the end goal of each is.
It takes some playing around to understand what each does
but it is worth the effort.
Brian

Re: CrossKylix discontinued

WillR writes:
I tried VS -- really -- just leaves me wishing MS could do as well as
CodeGear (Borland)
+1
Delphi 2007 IDE much better then Visual Studio 2005 IDE in stability
and usability.

Dennis Landi writes:
What is so exceptional about the goal of supporting the Linux
platform?
I don't think that is a *goal* for a company. The *goal* for companies
is making money, the *means* may be to support Windows program
development, linux program development etc.
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Dennis Landi writes:
My point is that the x-platform goal should not be a difficult one to
share.
Well, there are *millions* of programmers out there who *don't* share
that goal. What makes you think you are part of a majority? Or even a
*substantial* minority?
--

Ed writes:
>It is indeed surprising that Borland/Codegear has completely abandoned
>or ignored any type or size of effort to put pascal on *nix. Oh well,
>they must know their business better than I do :-)

I also feel CG should reconsider their stance with the *nix
community. Borland's attempt was laudible at best; but they
just didn't put their best feet forward. I believe the
initial version left a very bad taste in those who bought
it.
All I need from future Delphi:
1. Unicode support (planned for 2008, thanks!)
2. Linux (cross)compiling

Brian Evans writes:
The easiest one to understand is renaming. A project has
lots of controls with default numbered names. With refactoring
you can give them meaningful names with a lot less work
compared to normal text editing with things like search
and replace. Pick someplace where say Button45 is referenced,
right click and select Refactoring, Rename field "Button45".
This feature is sometimes problematic.
Take the following code for example:
Procedure tform1.Button1Click (sender: tObject);
begin
// Do something
end;
Procedure tform1.Timer1Timer (sender:tObject);
Begin
Button1Click(NIL);
End;
Now if you use refactoring to rename "Button1" to "btnCheck"
the project will no longer compile and requires manual work.
This once got me into real trouble when I "cleaned up" a huge
form and renamed some 50 controls using refactoring.
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(In order to reply per e-mail, please just remove the ".net"

Anders Isaksson writes:
Well, there are *millions* of programmers out there who *don't* share
that goal.
Yes, Visual Studio has many users. :)
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Re: CrossKylix discontinued

Excuse me, what help?
(and its not even funny)
Ed writes:
The bad thing is... the help.

Edmund

Ed writes:
I would assume previous products,
Ed --
Brilliant -- yes, of course, /previous/ products! ;-)
I was angling more for which specific previous product. If it is, say,
Delphi 7, then the list of advantages is pretty long.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Re: CrossKylix discontinued

Tom Corey writes:
It's ok. I compensate by only typing with my left hand.
;-)
--

Brian Evans writes:
The other refactoring options are more specialized but not
too complex once you figure out what the end goal of each is.
The two I use most frequently are Rename and Extract Method.
I love Extract Method -- you end up with "clean" code and nice small
routines.