Re: Apple, iPhone and application submissions.

2008-07-08 09:20:16 AM
delphi183

I.P. Nichols writes:
>I too find most of them looking tolerably good but as I said, just not
>materially better than this one which is one that Diego had listed and then
>said "My eyes hurt just looking at the UI on these apps."
>stevenscreek.com/iPhone/athletecalc.htm

Now I understand where you're coming from, and I'd basically agree.
But why do you spend most of your time and effort denouncing what you think
are poor apps? You end up sounding too much like Diego, and like those
giving their "critique" in the link in his original post.

If someone sounds like me then that person cares about UI. If they
sound like some others who think that UI should be a second thought (or
fourth as one person who listed priorities had it), that what was shown
is OK, that a shotgun approach to UI is fine; then yes, you'd sound
like me. If not, then mediocrity is accepted and you will end up with a
bad UI. And if you can not see it, then you need to get a designer to
help you out.

Re: Apple, iPhone and application submissions.

>We Americans don't use it. My "English" teacher in school would have
>failed me for such usage. <g>

That's the problem -- we still have 'English' teachers instead of
'Americish' teachers... <G>
Right or wrong, most Americans are convinced that what is taught in our
schools is "English."
There was an early episode of "All in the Family" where Archie Bunker was
complaining about watching a foreign film on TV, "and they didn't even use
subtitles!" Asked what language the film was in, he replied "British."
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re: Apple, iPhone and application submissions.

Q Correll writes:
It's common practice to separate the "s" of a plural abbreviation or
acronym with an apostrophe.
Huh? Since when?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] www.teamb.com
"Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism."

Re: Apple, iPhone and application submissions.

"GrandmasterB" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
.. iPhones are first and foremost a fashion accessory...
That's nonesense.
I've owned one for a while now and it is literally
the best phone I have ever owned.
I don't care about all the avaiable software.
I just care about the basic features I need and how
well Apple implemented them - Better than any other
phone I have personally seen or used in the past.
Having large on screen buttons makes the
phone easy to use whether you are dialing,
using the calculator etc.
The large touch-screen makes the display much
easier to use at night in low light areas and allows
for a much larger and easier to read font.
I don't care about the camera, level, stock market info
etc... For me it is first and foremost a telephone and
an excellent one at that.
best regards

Re: Apple, iPhone and application submissions.

In article <48728db0$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, Roddy Pratt writes:
There's a narrow bridge near here, and the council have carefully
painted 10-ft long letters on the road showing where HGVs (= trucks)
should position themselves. It says:-

HGV'S

Needless to say, they've promised a man with a flamethrower will come
and remove the offending punctuation, but I doubt they'll bother to fix
the letter spacing!
Though they could argue that in this case it denotes missing letters as
per HGVehicleS - not the case with greengrocers' apple's
Oxford dictionary seems to accept that either HGVs or HGV's is acceptable
usage
www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutspelling/pizza
--
Tony Bryer SDA UK 'Software to build on' www.sda.co.uk

Re: Apple, iPhone and application submissions.

Paul Scott writes:
Rudy,

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 12:55:36 +0100, Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>>It's common practice to separate the "s" of a plural abbreviation
>>or acronym with an apostrophe.
>
>Huh? Since when?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_plural (see "Plurals of
symbols and initialisms")
<<
Individual letters and abbreviations whose plural would be ambiguous if
only an -s were added are pluralized by adding -'s.

This is seldom the case.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] www.teamb.com
"After I am dead I would rather have people ask why I have no monument

Re: Apple, iPhone and application submissions.

Rudy,
| Huh? Since when?
Ever since I was in high school. Don't have a clue when it began. <g>
Please see my reference to HHH in another reply.
07/08/2008 15:14:28
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's Salutation mod]

On 2008-07-04, Diego <diego>writes:
Apropos the previous discussion about Apple being the only avenue via
which people can submit applications; this is exactly the reason why
Apple has to control things.
Well, I always thought it was to keep it exclusive (aka overpriced?)

On 2008-07-04, Diego <diego>writes:
>Apropos the previous discussion about Apple being the only avenue via
>which people can submit applications; this is exactly the reason why
>Apple has to control things.

Well, I always thought it was to keep it exclusive (aka overpriced?)
Overpriced? Or some people are cheap?

Re: Apple, iPhone and application submissions.

Rick,
| Darn it! You had me searching to try to find out where you cited Hubert
| Horatio Humphrey, only to find out that wasn't the case!
ROFL!
07/08/2008 20:08:02

RandomAccess writes:
I don't care about the camera, level, stock market info
etc... For me it is first and foremost a telephone and
an excellent one at that.
Let's face it - it doesn't take much to make a better PHONE than most
of the current crop of nonsense out there. I have just swapped the SIM
from my Orange SPV700 (=HTC Trinity) back into my nokia 6310i. This
*is* an experiment at the moment, but I can not see myself switching back.
The smartphone will still travel with me on some trips, as it is bit of
a swiss army knife (gps, music player, camera, wifi web browser,
address book) but NOT with a sim in it. As a phone, it simply isn't
good enough.
Just saw this - so I am not alone!
www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/12/20/nokia_breakthrough_phone/
- Roddy

Roddy Pratt writes:
back into my nokia 6310i. This
Yay!
Just saw this - so I am not alone!
You most certainly are not. :-)
There is actually a UK website dedicated to selling refurbished models
and spare parts.
www.6310i.co.uk/store/
--
Andy Syms
Technosoft Systems Ltd

Re: Apple, iPhone and application submissions.

Q Correll writes:
Rudy,

>This is seldom the case.

That doesn't change the fact that 's is regularly accepted and used.
<g>

I guess no one consulted you prior to it becoming common practice.
;-)
Many thing's <g>are "common practice", like using "loose" when people
mean "lose", mixing "they're", "their", "there" etc., using "I would of
thought so" if they mean "I would have thought so", the use of "between
you and I" instead of "between you and me", etc.
That does not mean they are correct.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] www.teamb.com
"A scholar who cherishes the love of comfort is not fit to be

Re: Apple, iPhone and application submissions.

Roddy Pratt writes:
Did you used to work at Micro Consultants, around 1981, by any chance?
'78 to '79. :-)
Your name seems familiar...?
And yours has been causing an itch at the back of my brain for a while
too.
Small world eh!
--
Andy Syms
Technosoft Systems Ltd

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
he use of "between
you and I" instead of "between you and me", etc.
This one drives me /nuts/. I hear "between he and I" all the time.
Infuriating.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - Embarcadero