(VFP 3.0 vs 5.0) vs Delphi and VBasic

Moving up from FPW 2.6. Was an excellent environment/product, but
getting a bit dated. I am working with an application that does not
require complex db manipulation, but requires a few large files are
accessed quickly. Looked at VFP 5.0, but it seemed slow on the file
access. Based on the above, my questions are:

Is VFP3.0 version faster than 5.0 screen draw speed and file access?
Was 3.0 a solid version, or should I only consider 5.0? Once again the
application does not require complex screens,code or file i/o.

Does anybody have any experience comparing VisFoxPro to VBasic or
Delphi? Do any of them create an actual .EXE, or are they all
interpreted i.e. how do their run speeds compare?

I have looked at Visual Basic, and VFP 5.0, but it is difficult to do
and indepth analysis without alot of experience! I would appreciate
some opinions, based on experience. The alternative is me speeding
most of my time investigating, versus coding.

Bottom line is I am looking for a solid development platform, with
reasonably fast program/screen  execution and quick/solid db access.
VFP 3.0, 5.0, Delphi or VBasic?

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks,

paul.stro...@ns.sympatico.caREMOVEME

Re:(VFP 3.0 vs 5.0) vs Delphi and VBasic

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 05:57:08 GMT, i...@bottom.of.message wrote:

>Does anybody have any experience comparing VisFoxPro to VBasic or
>Delphi? Do any of them create an actual .EXE, or are they all
>interpreted i.e. how do their run speeds compare?

I don't know about recent releases of FoxPro but Delphi can produce
true compiled, stand-alone executables.  VB6 can produce compiled
executables but you still need to distribute (and correctly install)
the VB runtime files and any activeX controls (and supporting files)
your application uses.  Delphi gives you the option of statically
linking everything into the executable (for a stand-alone exe), not
counting the Borland Database Engine which must also be distributed if
you use it, or using packages to distribute shared functionality in
what are essentially dll files. Depending on what database you are
using, there are a number of BDE replacements out there that will also
compile directly into your executable.  I use ODBCExpress with both
Access and Sybase and am extremely pleased.

I assume you're using FoxPro databases?  I prefer Delphi (though I
also use VB).  My personal feeling is that either Delphi or VB will
serve you better than developing your application in FoxPro.  I also
think that both VB and Delphi will be faster than FP code.

>I have looked at Visual Basic, and VFP 5.0, but it is difficult to do
>and indepth analysis without alot of experience! I would appreciate
>some opinions, based on experience. The alternative is me speeding
>most of my time investigating, versus coding.

>Bottom line is I am looking for a solid development platform, with
>reasonably fast program/screen  execution and quick/solid db access.
>VFP 3.0, 5.0, Delphi or VBasic?

>I look forward to your replies.

>Thanks,

>paul.stro...@ns.sympatico.caREMOVEME

Ray Porter
Applications Analyst Programmer
Administrative Information Services
Phone: 919-966-5878
Home Page: http://www.unc.edu/~dragon/

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Other Threads