ISAPI, IIS, MS SQL 7

Hi,

ISAPI DLLs hitting MSSQL 7 via ADO (mostly) & the BDE, running on IIS.

Machines:  Dual 700 Mhz Pentiums, 1 Gb RAM each.  NT4 with the latest
service pack (always), and *all* the security patches MS comes out
with (no choice there...paranoid weenies at higher headquarters).

At least once a day, more usually 4 times a day, the IIS server stops.
In the Service Manager, the "Started" goes away, but you *cannot*
just hit the Start button (it says the service is already started),
and you *cannot* stop the service.  You have to reboot the machine to
recover.

No errors are returned by the DLLs, and nothing shows up in the Event
logs of either machine.

Any idea what is going on?  Better yet, how to fix it?

Is it an ISAPI problem?  An MSSSQL problem?  A network problem?

--
Daniel J. Wojcik
http://www.genjerdan.com/bfp

Programming, and other things best done in private.

Re:ISAPI, IIS, MS SQL 7

Do you have M$ Proxy installed ?

--
Brian Slack LL.B, LL.M.
Digital Wired Limited

add all your favour sites to www.myfavlinks.com and access them from
anywhere in the world, from any browser.

"GenJerDan" <woj...@genjerdan.com> wrote in message

> Hi,

> ISAPI DLLs hitting MSSQL 7 via ADO (mostly) & the BDE, running on IIS.

> Machines:  Dual 700 Mhz Pentiums, 1 Gb RAM each.  NT4 with the latest
> service pack (always), and *all* the security patches MS comes out
> with (no choice there...paranoid weenies at higher headquarters).

> At least once a day, more usually 4 times a day, the IIS server stops.
> In the Service Manager, the "Started" goes away, but you *cannot*
> just hit the Start button (it says the service is already started),
> and you *cannot* stop the service.  You have to reboot the machine to
> recover.

> No errors are returned by the DLLs, and nothing shows up in the Event
> logs of either machine.

> Any idea what is going on?  Better yet, how to fix it?

> Is it an ISAPI problem?  An MSSSQL problem?  A network problem?

> --
> Daniel J. Wojcik
> http://www.genjerdan.com/bfp

> Programming, and other things best done in private.

Re:ISAPI, IIS, MS SQL 7

> On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:17:57 -0000, "Brian Slack" <br...@digitalwired.net> wrote:
> Do you have M$ Proxy installed ?

Not that I know of, but I didn't set up the machines.

I'll ask the guilty party.

--
Daniel J. Wojcik
http://www.genjerdan.com/bfp

Programming, and other things best done in private.

Re:ISAPI, IIS, MS SQL 7

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:38:14 -0800, "Jeff Rafter" <.jeffraf...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> This may be a dumb question, but do you have try...except blocks around all
> your ISAPI code?  We had a similar problem due to an unhandled external
> exception.

Yes.

I've even resorted to putting in <!-- doing <this> now --> lines in
the return to see where it's breaking.

They break right after the opening of the query.  It goes out to get
the data, and never returns: no error, no timeout, no nuffin'.

An app sitting on the IIS machine, using the same DB code will find
the DB Server, and return the data{*word*180}ety-split.

--
Daniel J. Wojcik
http://www.genjerdan.com/bfp

Programming, and other things best done in private.

Other Threads