Oracle Network Timeout? with Delphi C/S

I'm having some difficulty with an application which uses Oracle as a back
end. A program I've written with Delphi 2.0 C/S accesses both a local
Oracle 7.3 table and a remote one.  On occasions during the remote table
access event immediately following the Connect for the database component
my application is stuck waiting for a network event to occur and until it
does the app is useless.  Anyone familiar enough with Oracle to tell me if
there are parameters that can be changed on the Oracle side which would
cause the network call to time-out after 30 seconds or so?  I had a similar
difficulty with Sybase and the BDE driver actually had a timeout setting.

Re:Oracle Network Timeout? with Delphi C/S

See you sqlnet.ora file there is a timeout parameter for sql*net
connections to oracle.
the parameter is named "SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME" set it to somewhat higher
or just enter it as:
SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME =
This parameter is used to determine dead connections. PRobe packets
are sent from / to the client by the sql*net listener to check if the
client connection is still alive. If needed you have to set this param
on your Oracle server as well !

Yours

On 9 Jun 1998 15:08:16 GMT, "Preferred Customer"

Christian Kaas, c.k...@odn.de
>Software-, Projektrealisierung u. Beratung
>640kB ought to be enough memory ! - Bill Gates 1981

Re:Oracle Network Timeout? with Delphi C/S

Thanks for the input, Christian.  The box I'm testing this connection on is
a Workgroup Server and is running my application as well.  Adding this
parameter seemed to have no impact - set to 15 the network still won't time
out for approx. 60 seconds.

Christian Kaas <ck...@odn.de> wrote in article
<357d9778.2941...@forums.inprise.com>...

> See you sqlnet.ora file there is a timeout parameter for sql*net
> connections to oracle.
> the parameter is named "SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME" set it to somewhat higher
> or just enter it as:
> SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME =
> This parameter is used to determine dead connections. PRobe packets
> are sent from / to the client by the sql*net listener to check if the
> client connection is still alive. If needed you have to set this param
> on your Oracle server as well !

Re:Oracle Network Timeout? with Delphi C/S

Sorry i misread your thread !
What you can do is try to connect in a different thread with a second
TSession / Tdatabase with that your app won't wait for the network
connect to occur instead the 2nd thread will handle that.

On 10 Jun 1998 12:06:39 GMT, "Bob Sexton" <bobsex...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for the input, Christian.  The box I'm testing this connection on is
>a Workgroup Server and is running my application as well.  Adding this
>parameter seemed to have no impact - set to 15 the network still won't time
>out for approx. 60 seconds.

>Christian Kaas <ck...@odn.de> wrote in article
><357d9778.2941...@forums.inprise.com>...
>> See you sqlnet.ora file there is a timeout parameter for sql*net
>> connections to oracle.
>> the parameter is named "SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME" set it to somewhat higher
>> or just enter it as:
>> SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME =
>> This parameter is used to determine dead connections. PRobe packets
>> are sent from / to the client by the sql*net listener to check if the
>> client connection is still alive. If needed you have to set this param
>> on your Oracle server as well !

Christian Kaas, c.k...@odn.de

>Software-, Projektrealisierung u. Beratung
>640kB ought to be enough memory ! - Bill Gates 1981

Other Threads