Can't connect to SQL Server 2000

  The BDE does not support SQL 2000...you should move to using ADO if you're
using SQL 2000.  The BDE Links is only supported through SQL 6.5 (although I
haven't had any problems yet with SQL 7 and the BDE).
-Howard

Re:Can't connect to SQL Server 2000

Hi all,
I'm having really big problems connecting to SQL Server 2000 over ODBC. This
works fine on my development PC. I can't even connect useing the BDE
Administrator it just hangs. The ODBC DSN's are Idintical I've recreated
them x times. all the drivers are the same version. The only true differance
is that I'm working in a Terminal Services session when trying to connect on
the (Problem)server. I'm useing BDE 5.2 on both machines. App is writen in
D5 ent. App runs until i make the first connection (then hangs). I'm open
for any Ideas what so ever.

Thanks in advance,
Dexter

Re:Can't connect to SQL Server 2000

Although the advice to move to ADO is sensible, this information is not
entirely correct.

MSSQL have stopped development on DBLIB, this is the access method used by
SQL links, not BDE links. SQL links has been retained for backward
compatibility purposes, but not developed further; this means that new
features, eg strings longer than 256 characters are not availible through
SQL links.

Reading the messges, SQL links was never being used anyway, ODBC is being
used.

I agree with the recommendation to move to ADO, but you should still be able
to connect to SQL 2000, although I don't know the problem you are having
from the information given.

Dean Bisseker
Pontefract, England

"Howard Moon" <alic...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>   The BDE does not support SQL 2000...you should move to using ADO if
you're
> using SQL 2000.  The BDE Links is only supported through SQL 6.5 (although
> haven't had any problems yet with SQL 7 and the BDE).
> -Howard

Re:Can't connect to SQL Server 2000

Dexter,

In your Terminal Services session, first try connecting with the SQL Server
tools, such as the Query Analyzer, to determine if the SQL client software
has been installed.  You must be able to do this before you can connect with
BDE.

--
Jim

Re:Can't connect to SQL Server 2000

Right you are.  Strangely, I had to install the Client Network Utility for
SQL 2000 before I could access SQL 2000 using ODBC.  I wonder if that will
help in this case?
-Howard

Other Threads