Differences between V5.1 and V5.2 of BDE

Where can I find information on the differences between V5.1 and V5.2 of the
BDE?
I developed an application using V5.2 and have a client who requires that it
be deployed using V5.1.1.1 of the BDE.

I know that the BDE should be backwardly compatable, but the client is not
interested in versioning up.

Thanks for your help

Re:Differences between V5.1 and V5.2 of BDE

The only difference I am aware of is the addition of partial support
for InterBase dialect 3 databases in 5.2.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:Differences between V5.1 and V5.2 of BDE

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to get more detailed information on the version difference so I
contacted Borland support and got the following feedback. I wanted to share
the information with the newsgroup since I am a frequent lurker but rare
contributor.

+++

The 5.1.1.1 update was released sometime at the end of 1999. The 5.2 update
was released the same time as Delphi 6 and was around May of 2001.

These are the bugs that I could find reference to in our database that were
fixed, the majority seem to deal with the Help:
-With Oracle8 BLOB fields, if you put n Bytes of data, where n > 4K, modify
the record, and then open the blob and check the blob size, the size
returned is was n+1.

-Support for case sensitive schema objects or delimited identifiers in IB
6 -In the Help, Delphi example #4 for DbiAddIndex. szParadox replaced with
szDBASE.

-In the Help, Delphi example for DbiOpenBlob now uses TBDEDataSet instead of
TDataDSet.

-In both ORACLE 7 and ORACLE 8 driver ORA-03113: end-of-file on
communication channelis now mapped to a proper BDE error.

-In the Help, Delphi example for DbiOpenRistList now compiles -Setting
ClientDataSet.IndexFieldName on detail dataset caused all details to show.

-In the Help, the Delphi example for DbiVerifyField now compiles -In the
Help, it said dBASE does not support primary indexes (or primary keys). This
was not correct for dBASE level 7 tables

-The InterBase driver with BDE 5.1 appears to no longer support the new
features introduced in the last revision of 5.01, such as ROLE NAME,

COMMIT RETAIN and WAIT ON LOCKS. If you merge in a 5.01 CNF file, the
problem seems to go away and the functionality returns. Fixed in 5.2. -In
the Help, DbiGetLdNameFromDb was missing -Added to the Help- Note: The DB2
field types Graphic, VarGraphic, Long

VarGraphic, and DBCLOB are not supported by the BDE. If encountered, they
would either be interpreted as simple BLOB fields or an error occurs
indicating an unsupported field type.

-In the Help, System INIT settings help documentation for MAXBUFSIZE now
includes a maximum value

-In the Help, some formatting issues fixed

-In the Help, removed the section titled SQL Explorer & Sybase 11.5 and
Above

-Updated time stamp

-Sum() aggregation with the field which contains NULL values caused AV in
4D5EFFFA.

-ORACLE8, Extended Fetch. If ROWSET SIZE = number of records, duplicate
records showed up in DBGrid.

-Certified against Oracle 8.1.6 client

-Attempting to use the informal sqlint32.dll (modified for IB6) against IB
5.6 resulted in 'Vendor initialization error'.

-Could not execute a stored procedure created with Mixed Case. -DbiOpenBlob
failed with [51][3] ("General Sql error") when truncating values in
blobs/clobs. Oracle error is "ORA-24801: illegal parameter value in OCI lob
function".

+++

Hopefully, this information will be useful to other folks.