SQL Outer joins and Paradox Tables

Does BDE support OUTER joins

If so could anyone show me a basic example of one working.  I have been
trying various combinations in Database Explorer but it keeps complaining.

Also what version of SQL does BDE support.

Thanks in advance

Jon Quilliam

Re:SQL Outer joins and Paradox Tables

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:40:38 +0100, "Jon Quilliam"

<jon.quill...@infomatrix.ltd.uk> wrote:
>Does BDE support OUTER joins

Yes, local SQL supports outer joins (and equi-joins and inner joins
and union joins).

Local SQL (the SQL implementation the BDE uses for dBASE, Paradox, and
FoxPro tables) is documented in the online help file LOCALSQL.HLP,
found in the main BDE directory. This help file is a language
reference of the local SQL implementation (subset) of SQL-92. The copy
of this file that came with BDE 4.x (and earlier versions) was
seriously out of date and contained little useful information. It has
since been rewritten. It has been updated again concurrent with
C++Builder 5. Updated copies will have the topic "VIEWs" in the index
(and lack of this topic indicates a pre-update copy). I can e-mail you
a copy of the updated file if you need and desire it.

>If so could anyone show me a basic example of one working.  I have been
>trying various combinations in Database Explorer but it keeps complaining.

Here is one using the sample Paradox tables Customer.db and Orders.db.

  SELECT *
  FROM Customer C
    LEFT OUTER JOIN Orders O
      ON (C.CustNo = O.CustNo)

There will only be one row in the Customer table with no matching rows
in the Orders table, the one with a CustNo of 3055. You would see it
easier with the statement below.

  SELECT *
  FROM Customer C
    LEFT OUTER JOIN Orders O
      ON (C.CustNo = O.CustNo)
  WHERE O.CustNo IS NULL

>Also what version of SQL does BDE support.

It is a subset of SQL-92.

Steve Koterski                    "If you aren't fired with
Technical Publications            enthusiasm, you will be
Borland                           fired with enthusiasm."
                              -- Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

Other Threads