Delphi DLL's and a persistant TSession

lha...@kingsley.co.za wrote:

> Is there any way to maintain the same database connection within an
> executing instance of an application, even if that application's
> functionality is actually split up amongst a number of DLLs?

> In addition, can anyone tell me whether or not it is actually
> advisable to split an application into a number of DLLs, and if so,
> are there any guidelines as to the best way of doing the splitting?
> What are the problems associated with splitting apps into DLLs?

Problem 1:
Each Delphi compiled DLL will include the entire VCL.  Say goodbye to
150k per DLL.

Problem 2:
The DLL's may get lost/deletd.

My suggestion: if it does not get too large :) , use one app.

> And lastly (sorry, this is starting to sound like 20 Questions), is
> there an optimal recommended size range for EXEs, or recommended
> ceiling?

I have built Delphi apps of 1.2 mb without a problem...I think the main
limitation would be physical RAM and how many objects (window handles)
are created within your app.

> Any info would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance.

> From
> Lesley Hanly
> Cape Town
> South Africa

Sorry I could't be of more help,
Dominic

Re:Delphi DLL's and a persistant TSession

Is there any way to maintain the same database connection within an
executing instance of an application, even if that application's
functionality is actually split up amongst a number of DLLs?

In addition, can anyone tell me whether or not it is actually
advisable to split an application into a number of DLLs, and if so,
are there any guidelines as to the best way of doing the splitting?
What are the problems associated with splitting apps into DLLs?

And lastly (sorry, this is starting to sound like 20 Questions), is
there an optimal recommended size range for EXEs, or recommended
ceiling?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance.

From
Lesley Hanly
Cape Town
South Africa