Makeing a connection to ORACLE7

I have an application made in Delphi 1.0 Client/Server which
handles picture convertered from a Photo-cd into BLOB's in my
Paradox table, and to Jpeg's on the locale disk.

Now the customer has bought a UNIX maskin and installed ORACLE7 on
it. I have now startet to convert my progam so that it uses the
ORACLE7 database insted of Paradox. The BLOB's will have to
go into the database and I'll use FTP to store with JPEG picture files.

In the near future this database will be made searchable on the
INTERNETT.

My problem is that I'll have to connect myself to the
database trough TCP/IP. The database is 200 kilometers away. I know that
this is possble. I'v got an trail version of Peronal Oracle7 for win95
and
Developer/2000 and Power Objects.

By the way, I'm using win95, and I'v got Delphi 1.0 and Delphi 2.0
Client/Server. But my application is made in Delphi 1.0. This is
the version I must use.

What I'm thinking is that when I'v connected myself to the ORACLE7 I can
setup my database. After doing is I connect my application Delphi 1.0
Clint/Server
to the ORACLE7 database.

SO I HAVE 2 PROBLEMS

        1 getting connected to the database using PERSONAL ORACLE7 OR
DEVELOPER/2000 OR
          POWER OBJECTS.

        2 USING THE BDE AND DELPI 1.0 CLIENT/SERVER AND GETTING
CONNECTED TO
THE
          ORACLE 7 DATABASE.

It would by very helpfull if you have any input for me

Dag ?verby
OSLO, NORAWAY

dove...@sn.no

Re:Makeing a connection to ORACLE7

Just a few thoughts about converting an app from paradox (or any local
db) to true c/s:

- you definitely will have to rewrite major parts of the program
- remove all TTables and substitute with TQuery (the performance boost
on oracle is very significant)
- Just use personal oracle for win95 it is stable an completely like
the server version
- buy "Oracle Unleashed" from SAMS to learn about Oracle or visit some
trainings - if not you won't be successfull
- get SQL-Links for Oracle from borland don't evn think about odbc !

there is much more to say but if you follow this you will be
successfull (i do most of the time delphi & oracle)

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:16:33 +0100, Dag ?verby <dove...@sn.no> wrote:
>I have an application made in Delphi 1.0 Client/Server which
>handles picture convertered from a Photo-cd into BLOB's in my
>Paradox table, and to Jpeg's on the locale disk.

>Now the customer has bought a UNIX maskin and installed ORACLE7 on
>it. I have now startet to convert my progam so that it uses the
>ORACLE7 database insted of Paradox. The BLOB's will have to
>go into the database and I'll use FTP to store with JPEG picture files.

>In the near future this database will be made searchable on the
>INTERNETT.

>My problem is that I'll have to connect myself to the
>database trough TCP/IP. The database is 200 kilometers away. I know that
>this is possble. I'v got an trail version of Peronal Oracle7 for win95
>and
>Developer/2000 and Power Objects.

>By the way, I'm using win95, and I'v got Delphi 1.0 and Delphi 2.0
>Client/Server. But my application is made in Delphi 1.0. This is
>the version I must use.

>What I'm thinking is that when I'v connected myself to the ORACLE7 I can
>setup my database. After doing is I connect my application Delphi 1.0
>Clint/Server
>to the ORACLE7 database.

>SO I HAVE 2 PROBLEMS

>        1 getting connected to the database using PERSONAL ORACLE7 OR
>DEVELOPER/2000 OR
>          POWER OBJECTS.

>        2 USING THE BDE AND DELPI 1.0 CLIENT/SERVER AND GETTING
>CONNECTED TO
>THE
>          ORACLE 7 DATABASE.

>It would by very helpfull if you have any input for me

>Dag ?verby
>OSLO, NORAWAY

>dove...@sn.no

Christian Kaas
Client/Server development and consulting
Fax. 49-9129-5518
Phone 49-9129-5508

Other Threads