Need help building a telnet application

I have delphi 1.0 (please, no applause, or boo's)

I am trying to develop a very simple telnet app that can run during
a SLIP/PPP  connection to the internet.

The application will basically be a a telnet client which will connect
to a mud(multi-user-domain), and allow players to perform actions by
touching buttons on the form rather than typing everything in all the
time.

Being a novice coder, a need a little more help than just throwing a
component onto a form.

Are there any shareware/freeware coding examples out there to do this?
Or any other advice on how i can get started?  I do real well tweaking
examples.

Please email me with response.  Thanks for your help ;)

Dave