gds consistency ... en uninitialized data.

 I have a client using interbase 5.6. In an older version of our software a
field in a table was filled with un-initialized data (rubbish) . We now
experience regular database corruption 2 times in 10 days. Can the
un-initialized data be the source of our problem ?

Re:gds consistency ... en uninitialized data.

Hijme Karels wrote:

>  I have a client using interbase 5.6. In an older version of our software a
> field in a table was filled with un-initialized data (rubbish) . We now
> experience regular database corruption 2 times in 10 days. Can the
> un-initialized data be the source of our problem ?

        Not that I'm aware of.  Anything's possible, but I haven't seen this
problem before.  I'd recommend making sure forced writes are on (this is
the default for 5.6), that your filesystem is not corrupted (use a
utility like scandisk), and that your DB is stable (run gfix regularly
to test for corruption).

        IB is very stable and generally any corruption indicates that something
is wrong.  In IB 5.6 there is a bug where creating too many generators
(> 115 or so per 1 KB of DB size) will corrupt the DB.

        HTH,

        -Craig

We're hiring: http://www.vertexsoftware.com/careerops.htm#sd