Help - I have to deliver by Monday!! ... 16bit BDE problem!

Hi,
I have a program to deliver by Monday or my ass is grass!  (to put it
mildly!) ... I have the following problem with the BDE...

The program is designed in Delphi 1 as the client has WFW3.11 on all PCs.
I designed on home machine (P150) with no problems - worked a treat!

Then went to DSP, downloaded the BDE distributable install (BDE252.ZIP).
Installed on 2 x test machines and also seemed to work fine.

Went back to my own machine for further testing, and get EDatabase error
"$220B" .. I looked up the BDE error code, this *seems* to be related to
the language driver?

Anyway, when I try to load Delphi 1.0 on my own machine now the damn
thing crashes out with the BDE error on load, then gives me a 'Cannot
open componant lib' message.

Ok, I trawl thru INI files, delete all referances to D1 and BDE, then
reinstall both ... no luck .... same error message keeps coming up!!

GGRRRRrrr!!

can anyone point me in the right direction?

Please reply to 't...@cargo.iol.ie'

Thanks,

Allen.

--
(To reply remove the NO from my address!)

Re:Help - I have to deliver by Monday!! ... 16bit BDE problem!

In article <MPG.f4e671f3fdd4a4d989...@news.indigo.ie>,
  tec...@cargo.iol.ie (Allen) wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a program to deliver by Monday or my ass is grass!  (to put it
> mildly!) ... I have the following problem with the BDE...

> The program is designed in Delphi 1 as the client has WFW3.11 on all PCs.
> I designed on home machine (P150) with no problems - worked a treat!

> Then went to DSP, downloaded the BDE distributable install (BDE252.ZIP).
> Installed on 2 x test machines and also seemed to work fine.

> Went back to my own machine for further testing, and get EDatabase error
> "$220B" .. I looked up the BDE error code, this *seems* to be related to
> the language driver?

> Anyway, when I try to load Delphi 1.0 on my own machine now the damn
> thing crashes out with the BDE error on load, then gives me a 'Cannot
> open componant lib' message.

> Ok, I trawl thru INI files, delete all referances to D1 and BDE, then
> reinstall both ... no luck .... same error message keeps coming up!!

> GGRRRRrrr!!

> can anyone point me in the right direction?

> Please reply to 't...@cargo.iol.ie'

> Thanks,

> Allen.

> --
> (To reply remove the NO from my address!)

Here is some info regarding both of your error messages, if I understand your
message correctly:

Could not find language driver
Possible Cause of Error
You may have a selected a language driver using the BDE Configuration utility
(or directly editing WIN.INI or the Windows Registry) whose corresponding file
is missing or is not in the expected location.
Quick Fix
DELPHI 1
Ensure that the path in WIN.INI corresponds to the actual location of the
language driver files on your system. A typical entry is:
[Borland Language Drivers]
ldpath=c:\idapi\langdrv
32-BIT DELPHI
Ensure that the Registry - where?
If this ever gets done, add:
If the error number is $220B, see "Could not find language driver"
to "An error occurred while attempting to initialize the BDE"
Additional Information
This is error code $220B

=======================

Cant load [complib.dcl,cmplib32.dcl,vcl30.dpl]
Possible Cause of Error
1. You may have moved or deleted the complib.dcl file.
2. The Delphi VCL may have become corrupted due to changes you made to the VCL
source code.
3. You may have unsuccessfully attempted to install a component into your VCL.
4. You may be attempting to install a component which references another
component or a .DLL which is not on the computers search path.
Quick Fix
Note: The following are the file names and default locations for the various
versions of Delphi:
Delphi 1: complib.dcl  in C:\Borland\Delphi\BIN
Delphi 2: cmplib32.dcl in C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi 2\BIN
Delphi 3: vcl30.dpl in C:\Windows\System
1. Check to ensure that your component library file resides in the appropriate
location based on your version of Delphi. If you find the file elsewhere, move
it to the expected location given above and attempt to rebuild the library
(Delphi 1 and 2) or package (Delphi 3) again. If the file already is in the
correct location but you receive this error message anyway, follow these
steps:
A) Make a backup copy of the file (complib.dcl, complib32.dcl, or vcl30.dpl)
and store it in a safe place
B) Delete the "original" copy of the file you just backed up
C) If you had previously made changes to the file, Delphi will have created a
backup of the file prior to recompilation, replacing the first letter of the
extension with a tilde (~) and truncating the last letter of the extension. In
Delphi 1, this file is complib.~dc. In Delphi 2, it is complib32.~dc. If you
have the file appropriate to your version of Delphi on your system, you can
rename the file as complib.dcl or complib32.dcl (as appropriate for your
version of Delphi) and restore it to its former exalted position as Delphis
component library file. If you had not made previous changes to the file, or
the backup file no longer exists, copy the file from the Delphi CD to the
location appropriate for your version of Delphi.
Note: In Delphi 3, you should not attempt to modify this file. When you add
components, install them into the dclusr package or a new package you create.
If you need to reinstall vcl30.dpl, copy it from the Delphi CD to the
C:\Windows\System directory.

Note: You will have to reinstall all the components you added to your
component library file if you restore from the CD, but if you do not have an
older version of the file, this is your only recourse.
D) Rebuild the component library.
3. Follow steps A - D above to reinstall the last good copy of the VCL.
4. Be sure to deploy all required modules with any components or programs you
distribute.
Additional Information
In Delphi 1, the component librarys filename was named complib.dcl. Its size
was 1,036 KB.
In Delphi 2, the component library file was renamed cmplib32.dcl. Its size was
4,636 KB.
In Delphi 3, there are no files with a .dcl extension. Instead of one single
unit containing the entire VCL, several packages consisting of related
components are provided. The "main" package, which contains the most common
components and units you will need for a typical Delphi project, are contained
in vcl30.dpl. Its size is 1,257 KB. There are approximately 25 .dpl files in a
full installation of Delphi 3.
Note: Other things that may pose a problem are not having enough virtual
memory, which may be due to a lack of sufficent RAM and/or hard disk space, or
a fragmented hard drive. Ensure that virtual memory is set up correctly on
your system*. Purchase more RAM if possible. Leave at least 10% of your hard
drive free. Defrag the hard drive if it needs it. If all else fails, uninstall
and then reinstall Delphi. Dont forget to (re)install any appropriate patches
for your version of Delphi. To get the latest patches, visit Borlands web
site at http://www.borland.com
*If you seem to be having problems with virtual memory settings, you can allow
Windows to automatically adjust virtual memory for you by following these
steps:
1. Select  Start | Settings | Control Panel
2. Double-click the System icon
3. Select the Performance Page
4. Select the Virtual Memory button
5. Check the "Let Windows manage my virtual memory settings" radio button.

Note: The extension for the component library file has changed from .dcl
(Delphi Component Library) in Delphi 1 and Delphi 2 to .dpl (Delphi Package
Library) in Delphi 3.

Clay Shannon,
author of the upcoming book "Troubleshooting Delphi - Quick Fixes"

Re:Help - I have to deliver by Monday!! ... 16bit BDE problem!

>Went back to my own machine for further testing, and get EDatabase error
>"$220B" .. I looked up the BDE error code, this *seems* to be related to
>the language driver?

Your Win.ini file should have a section like this

[Borland Language Drivers]
LDPath=C:\IDAPI\LANGDRV

make sure your PC has this entry and that the directory correctly
points to where the language drivers are located.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Re:Help - I have to deliver by Monday!! ... 16bit BDE problem!

Did you install the contents of the zip file just by unpacking? Or did you
actually install the BDE. You have to install the BDE in order for your
win.ini file to be modified.

Other Threads