SUPPORT TRANSACTIONS

Hi !

    We develop unexpensive networking application and need
to work with transaction. I told unexpansive so we use internal
abilities of Delphi as a Paradox DB.
    Does anybody work with transactions for Paradox DB
or write something classes or anything for it ?

PLEASE HELP ME with any information.
---
Anton A. Mints (an...@mints.usr.peter.ru)
RUSSIA, STREAM LINE, Home office
Wed, 20 Dec 95 20:11 +0300 MSK

Re:SUPPORT TRANSACTIONS

an...@mints.usr.peter.ru (Anton A. Mints) wrote:

>Hi !

>    We develop unexpensive networking application and need
>to work with transaction. I told unexpansive so we use internal
>abilities of Delphi as a Paradox DB.
>    Does anybody work with transactions for Paradox DB
>or write something classes or anything for it ?

>PLEASE HELP ME with any information.
>---
>Anton A. Mints (an...@mints.usr.peter.ru)
>RUSSIA, STREAM LINE, Home office
>Wed, 20 Dec 95 20:11 +0300 MSK

Transactions are a function of the DB. Paradox, dBase and other file
server based applicaitons do not use transactions per se. InterBase,
Oracle, Sybase and other Client/Server database run as a process on a
server and allow transactions.

Michael Lant

Re:SUPPORT TRANSACTIONS

In article <1995Dec20.201...@mints.usr.peter.ru>
           an...@mints.usr.peter.ru "Anton A. Mints" writes:

>    We develop unexpensive networking application and need
>to work with transaction. I told unexpansive so we use internal
>abilities of Delphi as a Paradox DB.
>    Does anybody work with transactions for Paradox DB
>or write something classes or anything for it ?

>PLEASE HELP ME with any information.

Paradox (and dBase) tables do not support transactions.

--
Donald Oddy
Grove Systems Ltd.                                    0161-224 4465

Re:SUPPORT TRANSACTIONS

arr...@ix.netcom.com(Arrow ) wrote:
>Michael Lant <ml...@xyberlynx.net> wrote:

>>an...@mints.usr.peter.ru (Anton A. Mints) asked:

[about transactions on Paradox or DBase]

>>Transactions are a function of the DB. Paradox, dBase and other file
>>server based applicaitons do not use transactions per se. InterBase,
>>Oracle, Sybase and other Client/Server database run as a process on a
>>server and allow transactions.

You can have transactions on local file-based databases. MS Access provides
them, and I believe Visual FoxPro does now too. I'm pretty sure I read that
the new BDE in Delphi32 supports transactions on Paradox/DBase -- can
anyone confirm this?

>Using Windows NT as the server with the NTFS file system will alow for
>transactions as well as commit and rollback

No, this is not correct. NTFS is a transactioned file system, but this has
nothing to do with database transactions -- the two are independent. The
transactioning in NTFS is primarily designed for robustness, so that the
system can survive crashes, and maintain integrity of the file system.

--
Brad Aisa, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
ba...@hookup.net   web archive: http://www.hookup.net/~baisa/

"The highest responsibility of philosophers is to serve as the
guardians and integrators of human knowledge."   -- Ayn Rand

Re:SUPPORT TRANSACTIONS

In <4bjb6v$...@lion.xyberlynx.net> Michael Lant <ml...@xyberlynx.net>
writes:

>an...@mints.usr.peter.ru (Anton A. Mints) wrote:
>>Hi !

>>    We develop unexpensive networking application and need
>>to work with transaction. I told unexpansive so we use internal
>>abilities of Delphi as a Paradox DB.
>>    Does anybody work with transactions for Paradox DB
>>or write something classes or anything for it ?

>>PLEASE HELP ME with any information.
>>---
>>Anton A. Mints (an...@mints.usr.peter.ru)
>>RUSSIA, STREAM LINE, Home office
>>Wed, 20 Dec 95 20:11 +0300 MSK

>Transactions are a function of the DB. Paradox, dBase and other file
>server based applicaitons do not use transactions per se. InterBase,
>Oracle, Sybase and other Client/Server database run as a process on a
>server and allow transactions.

>Michael Lant

Using Windows NT as the server with the NTFS file system will alow for
transactions as well as commit and rollback
Ben
Arrow

Re:SUPPORT TRANSACTIONS

Donald R. Oddy wrote:

> In article <1995Dec20.201...@mints.usr.peter.ru>
>            an...@mints.usr.peter.ru "Anton A. Mints" writes:

> >    We develop unexpensive networking application and need
> >to work with transaction. I told unexpansive so we use internal
> >abilities of Delphi as a Paradox DB.
> >    Does anybody work with transactions for Paradox DB
> >or write something classes or anything for it ?

> >PLEASE HELP ME with any information.

> Paradox (and dBase) tables do not support transactions.

> --
> Donald Oddy
> Grove Systems Ltd.                                    0161-224 4465

In Delphi, transactions are controlled implicitly (automatically start
and commit transactions when you call a dataset's Post method) or
explicitly using a TDatabase object:

Database.StartTransaction;

{setup SQL in a query}
Query1.SQL.Add('insert into emp_name id, name values '1', 'John');

try
        Query1.ExecSQL;
        Database.commit;
Except
        { exception thrown - did not commit }
        Database.Rollback;
end;

You must setup the transisolation level appropriate to your needs.
Hope this helps...

Other Threads